Convert exported txt file to tmx
Thread poster: Jensen Loc ES

Jensen Loc ES
Local time: 01:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 8, 2010

Hi there!
I tried to export a Trados TM in tmx 1.4b but the file crashes during export. I do not know if it is because the TM is too big or because there must be any error in any entries.

So, I exported to txt but the tags are different. See below an example of an entry in the txt export:

04032008, 10:07:05
SK
{\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 }uk.mcafee.com{\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 } {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 } {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 } {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 }uk.mcafee.com{\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 } {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 } {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 } {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024

I am converting the txt file to tmx manually by using an old tmx export and changing the tags. The result I got so far in the example above is the following:

{\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 }uk.mcafee.com{\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 } {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 } {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 } {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024

{\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 }uk.mcafee.com{\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 } {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 } {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 } {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024

The external tags can be automatically changed throughout the file, that is not a problem. However, the internal tags, which are part of the text in the segment, are not that easy to change. I am using the old tmx export as a reference, see below an example of the same tag in txt and tmx format:

Txt
{\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 }
Tmx
<b>

However, I have reached the point where the old tmx export I used for reference is not useful, as the txt export contains many more translations. I wonder if you know of any website where I can find this information. My main problem is that the tag {\cs6\f1\cf6\lang1024 in the txt file has different equivalences in the tmx file depending on which tag comes next.

I am also afraid that after doing all the conversion the file is not tmx1.4b compliant anyway, so I wonder if there is any conversion tool I could use to convert the whole txt file into tmx format. I found several conversion tools in the Internet but none of them worked.

Could you please help me with this?

Thanks!

Alicia

Jensen Loc ES
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Examples not shown correctly Apr 8, 2010

Hi again,

I noticed that once my question has been posted, the examples do not show correctly. I hope you can anyway understand them, otherwise, you can contact me in private so that I can send you the examples.

Thanks!

Alicia

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Convert exported txt file to tmx Apr 8, 2010

Alicia Gonzalez wrote:

Hi there!
I tried to export a Trados TM in tmx 1.4b but the file crashes during export. I do not know if it is because the TM is too big or because there must be any error in any entries.

So, I exported to txt but the tags are different. ... Could you please help me with this?

Thanks!

Alicia

@Alicia: may be you would like to try with this old utility.

[Editado a las 2010-04-08 11:32 GMT]

Jensen Loc ES
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Convert exported txt fiel to tmx Apr 8, 2010

Thanks, Pablo, I managed to create a tmx file, but when I run it against the TMXCheck tool by LISA, I get this message:

System error: -2146697211. Error processing resource 'tmx14.dtd'. (Line 2, Position 34)

---------------------------------^

I checked other tmx exports I did and apparently the file is correct, so I do not know why I get this error.

I tried anyway to import this tmx I got with your tool into an empty Trados TM but it still does not work. It always crashes in the same entry, the problem is that I cannot search entry numbers in Trados. Do you know how I could do this? I remember checking other forum posts where people asked about it but it seems Trados does not allow you to search per entry number.

Thanks anyway for your help!

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Convert exported txt file to tmx Apr 8, 2010

Alicia Gonzalez wrote:

Thanks, Pablo, I managed to create a tmx file, but when I run it against the TMXCheck tool by LISA, I get this message:

System error: -2146697211. Error processing resource 'tmx14.dtd'. (Line 2, Position 34)

---------------------------------^

I checked other tmx exports I did and apparently the file is correct, so I do not know why I get this error.

I tried anyway to import this tmx I got with your tool into an empty Trados TM but it still does not work. It always crashes in the same entry, the problem is that I cannot search entry numbers in Trados. Do you know how I could do this? I remember checking other forum posts where people asked about it but it seems Trados does not allow you to search per entry number.

Thanks anyway for your help!

Hi Alicia, I am sorry if this not worked for you and I suppose you had a dtd file to check the memory aginst the Lisa checker. However, I guess TMX 1.4 or 1.4 b did no exist at the times Trados distributed this tool for free. So, I should suppose it converts still to TMX 1.1 to avoid compatibility issues.

The unique thing I can figure out , is you to check the exported TMX file against Heartsomes TMX validator (or may be to load it with Olifant) to isolate the corrupt segment and delete it, if it is possible. But my knowledge ends here too. icon_frown.gif

[Editado a las 2010-04-08 13:45 GMT]

Jensen Loc ES
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Convert exported txt to tmx Apr 8, 2010

Hi Pablo,

I noticed the TMXCheck from LISA did not work because I forgot to place the dtd file in the same place as the tmx fileicon_smile.gif. Now I did it and still got errors, but I am checking with my IT staff how these can be fixed.

But I think that the tool you sent me can definitely be used for this type of conversions instead of converting the file manually, as I was doing, thanks a lot!

Alicia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert exported txt file to tmx

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search