Trouble cleaning up files
Thread poster: Nadescha Vester

Nadescha Vester  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 06:21
German to English
Apr 8, 2010

Hello everyone,

I recently bought and installed SDL Trados and am currently using the 2007 version.
I am having troubles cleaning up files. When I add a document to clean and click "clean up", I get error message "50104: Folder does not exist, was moved or renamed [location of memory on F drive]". I originally had the memory on my USB stick (which I entered into the F drive of my laptop). As I didn't have enough space left on my USB stick, I copied the memory and saved it on my desktop and am using it without any problems for translation. However, when I try to clean up I always get this error message.

Also, sometimes when I try to clean up, I get a Microsoft word error message saying word needs to shut down, also preventing me from cleaning up files.

I would really appreciate any suggestions as this is really frustrating me and I have no idea what to do :-/

Many thanks in advance!
Nadescha

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
LOG file has been moved Apr 8, 2010

A common error due to quite unlogical setting in the Workbench.
Per deefault Workbench is creating a single log fle for all translation memories used.
If you go to Options - Translation Memory Options and chose the tab "Tools", you can change this: untick the box "Use same log file for all TMs".
Workbench will then create individual log file for each TM used, which is IMHO the only usable setting.

BTW, using a USB stick for keeping TM data is not the best idea. Get yourself a mobile hard disk drive, if you don't have enough space on your laptop HDD. A stick contains flash memory, which can be damaged after exceeding a certain number of write operations - and the usage of a TM means tons of such operations all the time. Each segment means write...

[Edited at 2010-04-08 13:05 GMT]

Nadescha Vester  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trados keep closing down... Apr 8, 2010

Dear Jerzy,

Many thanks for your suggestion! I tried what you suggested, but once I was in the "tools" tab, I got a Trados error box popping up which says:

"TRADOS Translator's Workbench has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. Please tell Microsoft about this problem. We have created an error reort that you can send to help us improve TRADOS Translator's Workbench. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous."
Then I can either send or not send an error report.

This has also been happening when I try to clean up, i.e. once I have added a file and clicked on 'clean up'.

In the end I deleted the log file in the clean up/translate/analyse dialog box, so I was able to add a file for clean up. However, I still cannot actually clean up the file, as the error box turns up and Trados closes down as soon as I click on 'clean up'.
I have no idea why this is happening, so right now I can't use Trados at all to clean up files... :-/

I would appreciate any further suggestions!
Thanks again so much!!

Best regards,
Nadescha

Mariana Campos  Identity Verified

Local time: 05:21
English to Portuguese
This has worked for me Jul 1, 2010

I had the same problem and this post has helped me solve it! Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble cleaning up files

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search