Cleaned - uncleaned files
Thread poster: LaurencePelosse

LaurencePelosse  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:18
English to French
Apr 8, 2010

Good morning !

My client asks me to send my translation back "cleaned" and "uncleaned.

How am I supposed to do that in Studio ?

Many thanks for your help,

Laurence

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Source file format? Apr 8, 2010

Hi Laurence,
what is the format of the source files you have received?

France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Cleaned / uncleaned Apr 8, 2010

Hello Stanislav !

Thank you for replying to my query.

The format is : word 97-2003. Does this help ?

Is there a way to send the file "uncleaned" so as to allow the client to view the text in both languages ?

Many thanks,
Laurence

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Preview generator Apr 9, 2010

Hello Laurence,

LaurencePelosse wrote:
Is there a way to send the file "uncleaned" so as to allow the client to view the text in both languages ?

When translating in Studio the bilingual 'uncleaned' file is the SDLXLIFF. If your client has Studio he can use this file to see the bilingual content. Studio has a dedicated Review mode. You can even create special review packages for this purpose ( see the relevant online help chapter).
If your customer does not have Studio you could use the bilingual preview generator available via SDL OpenExchange to create a bilingual file.
Please be aware that his bilingual file however can not get cleaned with Workbench.

I hope this helps,

Bernhard

[Edited at 2010-04-09 09:13 GMT]

Andrea Flaßbeck  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Hi Laurence Apr 9, 2010

As far as I know, you can't deliver unclean with Studio, unless your client has Studio because it creates a .sdlxliff file, which is not compatible to the previous version .ttx. However, most clients need bilingual .ttx files, and as it is now, it's quite complicated to create a .ttx with Studioicon_frown.gif.

SDL Trados Support:

It is not currently possible to create a ttx file in SDL Trados Studio 2009. However, if you would like to see this feature added to a future release then I would recommend voting on the following idea from the ideas.sdl.com website:

http://ideas.sdltrados.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2243

If the idea proves popular amongst other users then it could be implemented into a future release.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/140827-converting_sdlxliff_file_to_ttx_file.html

Cheers,
Andrea

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Mixed workflow Apr 9, 2010

Hi Laurence,
unfortunately, Studio cannot generate bilingual Word files. If you want to use Studio, you have only one option:
1. Open the source Word document in TagEditor and save the document as TTX.
2. Create a project in Studio and translate the TTX there.
3. Generate the target TTX file from within Studio: you will obtain the deliverable bilingual version.
4. Clean up the TTX to obtain the monolingual target DOC.

However, I recommend that you ask your client if a bilingual TTX is enough. Some clients (unfortunately) still insist on bilingual DOC files. If this is true, then you can only use Translator's Workbench and Word as the editing environment. No way to use Studio.

[Upraveno: 2010-04-09 10:21 GMT]

France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Cleaned / uncleaned Apr 9, 2010

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your answers which I will be studying carefully to follow your advice and instructions.

I have managed to deliver a format that satisfies the client by sending him the TM related to the translated file.

Many thanks again and have a good week-end,

Laurence

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cleaned - uncleaned files

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search