International Translation Day 2018

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event September 25-26th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Trados and licence: no assistance from Trados. Let's make a class action!
Thread poster: Andrea Becca

Andrea Becca  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:16
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 12, 2010

Dear all,
I moved in a new city and, unfortunately, my hard disk crashed in the same week.
when I tried to reinstall Trados 2007, I discovered their unsual procedure. I should have told them "before" the crash to withold the licence.
Nonetheless the Trados italian office suggested me to ask for a new licence. I wrote and then the American Trados assistance replied asking me every possible number (licence, order and so on...).
I wrote back four weeks ago. Since then, the absolute silence.
I cannot believe in this sort of behaviour. Is this really the main TM translation software in the world? Kind regards, Andrea Becca

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, I believe it Apr 12, 2010

Andrea Becca wrote:
I cannot believe in this sort of behaviour.

Yes, I can believe this behaviour. This is exactly why I no longer rely on Trados or SDL for my main work and have chosen another manufacturer. I just cannot risk being abandoned by a supplier.

Siontrans
Local time: 18:16
Member (2014)
English to Greek
I believe it too!!!! Apr 12, 2010

Once I paid a double price for an upgrade using their webpage.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Making Contact Apr 12, 2010

Hi,

I have contacted you off forum Andrea to see what we can do to help but as support has already tried three times with no response (the last attempt being the 26th March) I thought I better post here as well just in case we are filling up your spam folder.

If you have not received my email, or a response from a further support request I just placed on your behalf, then please post here and we can try another way of getting in touch.

Regards

Paul

Aguas de Mar (X)
Constant relocations Apr 12, 2010

Can you imagine what a nightmare it might become when one relocates constantly?
Due to my husband's work, we move to a different country every two or three years. The first time I found what it entailed to switch Trados from one computer to another, or to upload the software again if my computer crashed, I just gave up. IMHO; it is not worth either the trouble or the money. Just imagine if Microsoft asked for something similar every time Office crashes or every time we want to upload it to our new computer.

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A form to fill in Apr 12, 2010

Dear Paul,
thank you for the answer. No sooner I posted my complaint in this forum, SDL support sent me a form to fill in. The same form I sent back everyday for a week!
I'm desperately trying to communicate my licence number and the order data.

And I do accept all the other clauses (such as ... SDL TRADOS Technologies is under no obligation to provide a replacement and may refuse this request; At SDL TRADOS Technologies discretion, I/We may be invoiced for an additional administration charge for this replacement. The invoice must be paid in full before any replacement can be issued) although I did not have the same problems with the other softwares I use on my pc.
I'll try to fax this form, hoping to have a better result.

Still, I'm rather surprised by all this fuss considering the price of the software.
Kind regards, Andrea Becca

United Kingdom
English
Completed Form Apr 12, 2010

Hi Andrea,

I think I misunderstood your previous mail. I hadn't realised you had already received the form and it was this you were struggling with. Please mail it directly to me and I will make sure it goes to the right place. My address is pfilkin@sdl.com

I don't know if you had received my email as well? In there I explained how you had already activated this product three times without ever returning a license at all and this why you have to complete the form. It's unfortunate if you have crashed and had to rebuild your PC three times, but I think this is unusual. Most users who have this problem simply forget to return the license, and it is a very simple and fast process that ensures your license is not lost when you need it by always being safely available on our servers.

I think where we have failed in the past is by not communicating well enough when you purchase the software about the licensing process. In the last couple of years this is much improved and in your account centre you now also have visibility of the extra activations available to you. It is worth keeping an eye on these if you have any, and when they drop to 0 for any reason you should contact support to make sure that they are recovered. This will save a lot of heartache because you will be able to recover yourself at any time without having to rely on us.

The problems we see today are normally from "old hands" who know the ropes based on how things used to be and they don't always read all the information available today.

Regards

Paul

United Kingdom
English
Confirmation this is closed Apr 13, 2010

Hi Andrea,

You have not responded to the emails I have sent you, but I did receive your emails this morning containing the completed form. So, it seems this is the best place to make sure that you know that your licenses are now reset and you can use them.

I would be interested to know where you were trying to send this form previously because we have been asking for it since your first raised the request on 26 March and have no record of you returning it at all or responding to our emails. Perhaps you can help us to find where we have a problem with our system?

Regards

Paul

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Communication problems Apr 13, 2010

Dear Paul,
thank you for writing and for your attention. I addressed all my messages to "support@sdl.com" from two different providers and then a I sent two faxes at Lydia Simplicio +44(0)1628 4172 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              +44(0)1628 4172      end_of_the_skype_highlighting... (I'm not sure I can publish the whole number).
Usually I don't have any problems with my e-mail. The italian Trados Office answered straight away, for instance.
When do you think I can find in "my account" the new licence number?

United Kingdom
English
The license is already there Apr 13, 2010

Hi Andrea,

I checked before posting earlier and you have activations available already in your account.

Thanks for the information on the email and the fax, I will investigate them both.

Regards

Paul

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, the software is working Apr 13, 2010

Thank you Paul for your valuable support.
The software is now working again.
I'm still thinking that this procedure is not that simple as it should be, but I do admit that I was not that lucky in this story and we have communication problems.
Probably, at the end of the year I should move again. In that case I have to rember to "hold" the licence of my Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and licence: no assistance from Trados. Let's make a class action!

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search