https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/162509-suggestions_wanted_for_best_way_to_spell_check_clean_up_word_files_translated_with_tageditor.html

Suggestions wanted for best way to spell check/clean-up word files translated with TagEditor
Thread poster: Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:39
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Apr 12, 2010

Hi,

I work with Trados 2007 and have to now more often use TagEditor to translate Word files and would like to hear your suggestions for the best way to spell-check and clean-up process. I find that the spell checking in TagEditor takes far too long, so would like to do that in Word, but how do I then incorporate the changes back into my TM? I can't seem to make sense of the suggestions in the Trados manual.

Thanks

Kristina

[Bearbeitet
... See more
Hi,

I work with Trados 2007 and have to now more often use TagEditor to translate Word files and would like to hear your suggestions for the best way to spell-check and clean-up process. I find that the spell checking in TagEditor takes far too long, so would like to do that in Word, but how do I then incorporate the changes back into my TM? I can't seem to make sense of the suggestions in the Trados manual.

Thanks

Kristina

[Bearbeitet am 2010-04-12 13:46 GMT]
Collapse

Huub Stegeman
Huub Stegeman  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Use the spellcheck in TagEditor after all, it's worth while! Apr 12, 2010

Hi,

I like to use the spellcheck in Tag Editor (check before segment closes, not the general one, that does take ages, you're right), because it frees me up to just look at meaning and style when I read through my translation again. I won't be distracted by spelling mistakes at that point. Highly recommended!

Cheers

Huub

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:39
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
check cleaned document in Word, correct errors in ttx Apr 12, 2010

Hi!

I have gotten used to checking the cleaned file in Word (also with Duden Korrektor) and correcting any errors in TagEditor, which I have running in parallel. Just do a search (CTRL+F) for the misspelt word in TagEditor and correct manually.

HTH,
regards,
Erik

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:39
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spell check in Tag Editor Apr 12, 2010

One of my favourite features in Tag Editor is spell checking while you translate. Regardless of the segment length, it is quite fast. In Tag Editor > Tools > Options > Spelling > Check spelling when closing segment. This will do the work.

For cleaning your file, File > Save Target As... and save your file, replacing the original file from which you created the Tag Editor (ttx) file. (Make sure to keep your files in the same folder and NEVER change their names.)

HTH... See more
One of my favourite features in Tag Editor is spell checking while you translate. Regardless of the segment length, it is quite fast. In Tag Editor > Tools > Options > Spelling > Check spelling when closing segment. This will do the work.

For cleaning your file, File > Save Target As... and save your file, replacing the original file from which you created the Tag Editor (ttx) file. (Make sure to keep your files in the same folder and NEVER change their names.)

HTH

Elías
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Saving does not update TM Apr 12, 2010

Elías Sauza wrote:

HTH

Elías

AFAIK Saving as target does not update the TM in Workbench. I always run Translate to Fuzzy after changes.
But my Tageditor has not Spelling-tab in Options. Why?

Regards
Heinrich

Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 21:39
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translate to Fuzzy after changes Apr 13, 2010

Hi Heinrich,

What do you mean by translating to fuzzy after changes? In Tag Editor you have to open the sentence to make changes and if you make them in Word, they do not show, as far as I know, so not quite getting this, but would like to understand it.

Kristina

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Yes, in TE Apr 13, 2010

Kristina Wolf wrote:

Hi Heinrich,

What do you mean by translating to fuzzy after changes? In Tag Editor you have to open the sentence to make changes and if you make them in Word, they do not show, as far as I know, so not quite getting this, but would like to understand it.

Kristina

Making changes in Word will not effect what you have in TE, and making changes in TE will not effect the TM in Wordbench. You have to open and close each changed segment and therfor Translate to Fuzzy updates the changes one by one.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions wanted for best way to spell check/clean-up word files translated with TagEditor

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »