Problem when converting back to Word
Thread poster: kniffler

kniffler
Local time: 02:01
Apr 14, 2010

Hi everybody,

I know, this problem has already been widely discussed in this forum but I haven't found a solution yet.

I have a simple Word document (2003) without much formating and translated it with SDL Trados Studio. It worked all fine but when I try to apply the option "Save target as ..." I get the following error message: "An error occured while converting the document back to Microsoft word format: one or more end tags do not have a matching start tag".

I've tried the tag verifier option with F8 but the system found no errors. And if I double-click on the error message, it says "Aucun emplacement précis du document n'est associé à ce message" ("there is no precise location in the document associated to this message" or something like that).

I also checked if my original word document is damaged but it seems fine (i.e. I could save it in Trados before having translated something).

I know that I could import my original file under another name into Trados, apply the TM and try once again to convert it back to Word but there has to be another solution, no? And there has to be a reason for this problem...

I really would be very happy if someone can help me. Thanks in advance!

Nadine

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Verify tags Apr 14, 2010

What you did, is a simple verification with default settings.
But the error does say you exactly, what is missing - a end tag does not have a matching starting tag. So it simply means you have deleted a formatting tag somwhere.
Please go to your project settings, chose File types, open Word 2003, chose tag verification and disable "Ignore formatting tags".
Then repeat the verification and correct any tag error found.

kniffler
TOPIC STARTER
No success Apr 14, 2010

Hi Jerzy,

thank you very much for your quick reply.

I've done as you said, I've disabled the "Ignore formatting tags" and the system has indeed found several formatting errors but only errors that aren't really important, for instance, there was a space behind a tag that wasn't there in my orginal file but has to be there for my translation.
In French, it was e.g. "Art. 2." and for German it has to be "Art. 2 -"
These errors were indicated by a yellow warning triangle, so I suppose they aren't "fatal". And under "Source" it says "Tag verification" (Vérification des balises).
Apart from that, all tags were there, non was missing.

For my error message - which is still there unfortunately - there is a red cross and under "Source" it says "Ecriture du fichier" (Writing of file). So I suppose that the problem lies here and has nothing to do with formatting?

[Bearbeitet am 2010-04-15 11:56 GMT]

dozemil
Mexico
Local time: 19:01
German to Spanish
+ ...
Back to Word Apr 30, 2010

I had finished my translation when the error appeared.
Tag verification did not report any error.
I just saved all the translation segments as translated
Changed the name of the original source file and opened it as a new document.
Translated segment by segment automatically using the translation memory and by clicking on each segment (if translated automatically I would not be able to stop Trados from translating),
Attempted to save as Word document from time to time (overwriting the same file every time) to check up to which segment Trados Studio 2009 (without SP2) would not convert my file to word.
I found the specific segments that did not allow the conversion.
The error was in only one segment of 292.

I hope this works for you.

[2010-04-30 02:19 GMTean editatua]

[2010-04-30 02:27 GMTean editatua]

[2010-04-30 14:12 GMTean editatua]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem when converting back to Word

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search