Studio 2009 cannot open .doc file/track changes error
Thread poster: Fiona McBrien

Fiona McBrien  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:52
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
Apr 14, 2010

I've been trying to open a word file in Studio 2009, but the following error message appears:

'This Microsoft Word document cannot be opened because it contains tracked changes that have not yet been accepted or rejected.'

But, there are no tracked changes in the document that still need to be accepted or rejected. Just in case, I saved a new version of the file after I had accepted all tracked changes and then I saved another version after I had rejected all tracked changes, but I still get the same error message.

Then I copy pasted the entire file into a new file, but that didn't work either.

I haven't seen this error message before and I've run out of ideas how to fix this.
What am I doing wrong here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:52
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Possible solution Apr 14, 2010

There was a similar problem with TagEditor ( http://www.proz.com/post/1370191 ), and it was solved by opening and saving the file in older version of Word (97) or in OpenOffice, and then opening it back and saving it in the original version (in this case it was 2003).

HTH

[Edited at 2010-04-14 22:27 GMT]

Eduardo García Soñanes
Mexico
Local time: 11:52
English to Spanish
It might be a very small change Apr 14, 2010

Hello Fiona. Have you tried zooming your Word doc and looking through it carefully?

I had a similar problem just a few days ago and it was a blank space that had been inserted and the change was almost unnoticeable.

It can also be a formatting change.

For deleted text, comments, or formatting changes, it's a great idea to have your track changes configuration to Always show balloons:

Tools>Options>Track Changes tab; go to Balloons section and select Always from the drop-down list.

Also, be sure that the Track Changes option is disabled under Tools.

Hope this helps!

Eduardo

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Removing Tracked Changes Apr 15, 2010

Hi Fiona,

There are two KB articles that may help here. Sometimes the problem is that MS Word tells you there are no tracked changes, but really there are. The first article describes this problem best.

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2152&p=1

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2828&p=1

I hope these help.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-04-15 05:06 GMT]

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:52
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Minute change Apr 15, 2010

Open the document, accept all changes, turn Track Changes off, translate. It is probably a last-minute "minute" change they forgot to accept.

Fiona McBrien  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved! Apr 15, 2010

Hello everybody,

Thank you for all your great input.

I do have Word 2003 and I was not aware of the track changes issue.
I eventually managed to solve the problem by opening and saving the file in Open Office.
Never would have thought of doing that myself!

Thank you, Yossi!

@ Paul:

I read both articles and followed the instructions of the first article, but it didn't work for me for some reason. Must have been something I did wrong...

@ Eduardo:

From now on, I'll make sure to have the track changes configuration set to 'Always show balloons', very handy indeed!

Thanks again!

[Bijgewerkt op 2010-04-15 13:22 GMT]

ahmadwadan.com  Identity Verified
Kuwait
Local time: 20:52
English to Arabic
+ ...
Great! Feb 12, 2012

Yossi Rozenman wrote:

There was a similar problem with TagEditor ( http://www.proz.com/post/1370191 ), and it was solved by opening and saving the file in older version of Word (97) or in OpenOffice, and then opening it back and saving it in the original version (in this case it was 2003).

HTH

[Edited at 2010-04-14 22:27 GMT]

Thank you Yossi.

This solution worked with me.

Kind regards

Hyun Jung Kim  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 04:52
English to Korean
Other solutions Jul 10, 2013

I had the same issue, and solved it using the solution suggested by SDL.

http://kb.sdl.com/?portalid=23&articleid=3253#tab:homeTab:crumb:7:artId:3253

Hope this will be useful for translators who might have a similar issue.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 cannot open .doc file/track changes error

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search