Problems with Java Update
Thread poster: Joanna Sobolewska-Kurpiel

Joanna Sobolewska-Kurpiel  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:07
English to Polish
+ ...
Apr 15, 2010

Recently I updated Java and, as a result, my Trados 2009 termbase functions stopped working. I found the solution here, learned that upgrading Java always is a source of problems, uninstalled Java, trados 2009, Trados 2007, etc and installed Trados 2007, Trados 2009 etc again.
Now it works perfectly, but I have an old version of Java and wonder what about other applications which will soon call for the newer version of Java. Shall I just keep my Java untouched as long as I want to use Trados?
Can you please share any experience?
TIA

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:07
English to German
Same problem Apr 15, 2010

Hi Joanna,

I'm afraid I cannot help you, but I have had the same problem a while ago. Now, I am receiving permanently such updating messages, but I don't dare to try it. And I am, too,
wondering what will be the effects for other applications, if I never update this java program.

Annett

Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:07
French to English
+ ...
In general you should update Apr 15, 2010

I speak only as a Java programmer -- I'm not an expert in TRADOS and can't necessarily speak for any other individual piece of software on your machine -- but I'd recommend that in general it's better to update.

Java is designed to have virtually total compatibility between different versions. Yes, things can go wrong and for various complicated reasons in a major application there is scope for unexpected behaviour with a new version of Java. But it's quite rare and where it does occur, the fix will usually be simple (provided that software manufacturers actually produce a fix, of course).

Conversely, Java isn't just updated for a laugh. New versions of Java include bug fixes (as well as new functionality), and in some cases fixes to serious security flaws that have been discovered. The latest version until a few weeks ago, for example, contains various such flaws, including one which could potentially allow a judiciously crafted web page to run arbitrary commands on your computer.

(See here for an example of an actual real-world attack: http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=6161&tag=nl.e539 )

[Edited at 2010-04-15 15:53 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Java Update

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search