Lithuania
Local time: 06:26
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Apr 15, 2010

Dear all,

I would like to ask for your help.

Could you, please, enumerate the features that Trados Prof/Freel. 2009 has, which other CATs do NOT have (or have it in an inferior form)?

Trados seems to be the most expensive of them all, but why is it worth it?

Any help with as many features as possible will be very much appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
Vitalijus

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:26
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not a very independent judgement... Apr 15, 2010

I reckon this is not the best way to obtain an independent judgement. My advice is that you download and try as many products as possible and judge for yourself...

Magdalena Szewciów  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2008)
English to Polish
+ ...
my personal opinion Apr 15, 2010

I've been working on Wordfast Classic for 5 years now. I came back from Trados training yesterday and I'm very excited as FINALLY I see the difference between the two! Wordfast Classic is my first love, so to speak, but the AutoSuggest functionality in Trados 2009 speeds works so much that I'm actually considering changing the main CAT I use from WF to Trados.

And in my case, it's only about speeding up my work. Apart from that, I think every CAT is good... enough.icon_smile.gif

Bernard Lieber  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Set your own specifications Apr 15, 2010

It all depends on what kind of word processing/DTP software you're using most frequently- keep in mind that software editors whether Trados, Alchemy, Atril, Transit, etc. focus on specific markets. For instance, if you're localizing a lot of *.rc files, Alchemy S/W is better but Trados handles InDesign files really well, etc.

You should list what kind of files you translate regularly and pick the TM that suits your requirements.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Not a very good method Apr 16, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
I reckon this is not the best way to obtain an independent judgement. My advice is that you download and try as many products as possible and judge for yourself...

Downloading demo versions will show you only what an ordinary user might see when he tests the software for 5 minutes (or 1 hour). Even if the demo version is fully functional, the testing user will not know what to test for unless he already has a list of common features to look for. I suppose if you're an expert user of one CAT tool, you'd be able to compare it with other CAT tools more easily, but although you might find which features are missing from other tools, you may not be able to spot the features that are missing from your own CAT tool unless you are made aware of it.

Several translators I've spoken to tell me that Trados 2009's new autosuggest feature is the killer feature for them -- that they save so much time with it that they are willing to dump their other CAT tools and move over to Trados 2009 for it.

I'm not sure how intelligent the autosuggest feature is, but there are free or cheap programs that perform that kind of feature withing any other program already, such as:

LetMeType (ancient, but still works; remembers up to 3 words at a time)
http://www.clasohm.com/lmt/en/

TypingAid (set your settings in Preferences.ini; remembers single words only)
http://www.artwinauto.com/downloads/typing-programs/typingaid.html

In both the above programs you can preload texts into its memory from which it would offer suggestions, or it can learn words as you type. TypingAid has slightly more features.

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In fact... Apr 17, 2010

Dear all,

In fact, I hoped the prozians would be more responsive than that... Thanks, Magdalena and Samuel, for your understanding.

I just need a list of outstanding functional features of Trados.

I have made my choice and it is Trados, but I still need the list of those features.

Could you, please, help me out and just give me at least those, which are indeed very functional for YOU? Just like this:

* AutoSuggest feature

It would help me a lot.

Thanks again.

VS

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Déjà Vu X my choice (user friendly, no troubles) Apr 17, 2010

Vitals wrote:
In fact, I hoped the prozians would be more responsive than that...
VS

Well, there were so many forums dealing with this subject. I believe, you can just search the proz archive.
regards, Ewa

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Well... Apr 17, 2010

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak) wrote:

Vitals wrote:
In fact, I hoped the prozians would be more responsive than that...

Probably some of us are tired of flame wars about the superiority of X over Y,

Well, there were so many forums dealing with this subject. I believe, you can just search the proz archive.

Yep.

PS.
I/m a long time DVX user and I can but second.
The problem is the Atril's public relations are very... huh... special... and the development is not very predictable.
It's a very special tool but when you feel it, it's like a Gatling gun.
You should see memoQ too.
Simpler than DVX but more user friendly.
Probably te best choice for a newbie.
Trados 2009 is really decent now but a little bit complex, the terminology management is a crap and a pain in the arse, as usually.
Wordfast Pro is completely unusable if you are addicted to the terminology.
E.g. no fuzzy terminology recognition (a shame).
Wordfast (Classic) and Metatexis are the best tools for Word.
Swordfish 2 is quite good but doesn't handle the binary formats (e.g MS Office up to 2003).
The list is not exhaustive.

It's a lot of good tools nobody's aware, e.g. Cafetran,

IMO Samuel and Tomás are both right.
I.e. it makes no sense to test 'em all but you should test some of them and see how do you like 'em.
E.g. Wordfast (Classic).
It's a damn good tool for Word... far better than the old Word-Trados interface but I hate to translate in Word... so I never used it in a production environment although I know it well as a CAT trainer.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-04-17 17:25 GMT]

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Well... Apr 17, 2010

MemoQ is your best choice at the moment, there is also a group buy going on at the moment on www.proz.com, so you can get it for a fraction of the usual price. In the long run you can expect to be paying them some 150 EUR a year in subscription prices, but you will be getting the new versions for free. (I am not sure of the exact figure, so maybe someone who knows more can correct me here).

DejaVu X has always been excellent, and is in my opinion the most dependable choice (no crashes whatsoever), but it is expensive, a new version is supposedly just around the corner, and the company is really unpredictable as far as prices, support, public relations, etc.

Studio 2009 has improved a lot over the past months but it still crashes every now and then (Multiterm is very unreliable), and SDL - until recently - had treated customers like flock. Usually they would not provide support unless you pay extra, and seem disinterested in providing reliable fixes to known problems - instead they prefer releasing new versions in which said problems may or may not be fixed. With the coming out of Studio they also reinforced the bad trait of releasing beta versions as finished products. That said, I am (almost) happy with my Studio at the moment, and Trados remains the most widely used CAT product, and as such it is often requested by customers.

In short: there is no easy answer to your question. If I was buying now, I would go for MemoQ. But since I have already invested so much time, effort and money in Trados (and all my databases are in their format), I have decided to stick with them for the time being.

Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados vs. other CATs

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search