Office 2010 and Trados 2007 / 2009 Suite
Thread poster: aasimar
Apr 16, 2010

Has anyone tried using the beta version of MS Office 2010 with SDL Trados 2007 and/or the 2009 Suite? I still have Office XP and was thinking about getting the 2007 version recently, but since 2010 is just around the corner and I'm going to take the plunge anyway, I figured I might as well get that instead (yes, I know being an early adopter can mean trouble) - at least it will take longer before it becomes obsolete.

I'm not necessarily asking if it will be officially supported, by the way. If it will be, that's great, but I just want to know if it works or not. Thanks to anyone who has any idea regarding this.

Rob

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:14
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
At the moment Studio and Office 2010 are incompatible Apr 16, 2010

There are a number of problems about using Office 2010 with Studio. One example is that you will not be able to preview documents at all. However, that is the least of the problems.

Office 2010 is very new, and also has its troubles, quite independently of any translation software.

PMz
Office 2010 Apr 16, 2010

Hi,
as the Microsoft changed the file format of Office 2010 files you cannot open them in Studio 2009 SP2 at all.
Office 2010 is not officially released yet I doubt that SDL will support it before official release of the software itself:-)

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You can open .doc files in Studio SP2 if you have Office 2010 Apr 16, 2010

There are one or two problems and nuisances. One of them is that Office 2010 constantly asks you to click to activate the document. Once you have done that, the file can be handled in Studio.

Yes, as far as I understand, Office 2010 will be officially supported once it is officially released, which will be in October.

I have been working with Studio and Office 2010 since mid-February. I lost my licensed copy of Office 2007 and did not want to pay again, so I downloaded Office 2010 instead. I am managing with it, but it is not ideal at the moment.

[Edited at 2010-04-16 14:16 GMT]

aasimar
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both Apr 19, 2010

Especially you for your last post, Astrid. That was really useful information.

Jan Neersoe  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
Technology Guarantee Apr 20, 2010

Just an additional thought: Not sure if this applies to the US too, but here in Germany there's an offer from MS (valid through September or so) to buy Office 2007 now and get a free upgrade to 2010 when it is released. You may want to check if this option is attractive for you.

David Wheatley  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:14
German to English
No preview... Jun 3, 2010

Hi,

I've been using Office 2010 and SDL Studio 2009.

I have found the same problem with the real-time previews.

The file format problem is easy to circumvent. You merely have to save the file in .doc format. This is done from "File > Save As" and choosing "Word 97-2003" from the drop-down "Save As Type" menu.

I think I might go for the automatic upgrade offer, though, that Jan mentioned. At least that way, I could get round the preview problem!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office 2010 and Trados 2007 / 2009 Suite

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search