KIS 2010 kills Trados 2007 freelance during memory reorganizing
Thread poster: Claudio Porcellana (X)

Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Apr 16, 2010

Hi

every time I reorganize a SDL Trados memory, I experience a crash of the Trados application

I found that the guilty can be KIS

so, I reorganized my memories with KIS disabled and indeed I had no more a crash

the problem is to find all involved Trados routines to place them into trusted applications

first, I placed the whole SDL Trados folder plus its subfolders into trusted applications but the problem remained

second, I placed the NET framework as a trusted application, but the problem still remains

the SDL support is a pipe-dream, notoriously, but may be this time can help
i.e. can I know what routines/softwares are involved with memory reorganization?

thanks

Claudio

Andrew Poloyan
Local time: 23:59
Russian to English
+ ...
Must be something else Apr 16, 2010

I'm using KIS 2010 at the moment with Studio 2009, used earlier versions with at least 3 last Trados versions, never had any problems. When I just installed Studio, I added all its applications (TWB, TE, WA, Passolo, license service, etc.) to the trusted list and that was all I ever did. I remember crashes at an attempt to reorganize databases in Trados 2006, though. AFAIK, the problem was in the .NET framework, clean OS install fixed it.

Italy
TOPIC STARTER
KIS 2010 kills Trados 2007 freelance during memory reorganizing Apr 16, 2010

may be Andrew,
but disabling KIS I have no crashes at all ...

I just found a thread on KIS forums that say about disabling real-time VBA macros monitoring, but my KIS interface must be different from that showed, as I am not able to find that option

Claudio

Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
English to German
there is a solution Apr 16, 2010

check out these forum posts

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/159421-workbench_crashes_when_importing_or_reorganising.html

go here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/149075-windows_7_64bit_and_trados_2007_2009_does_it_work-page3.html?action=Reply&quote=1&post_id=1325888&start=30

and keep reading.

If you need more help contact me direct via my profile.

HTH

Italy
TOPIC STARTER
KIS 2010 kills Trados 2007 freelance during memory reorganizing Apr 16, 2010

Hi rebekka

the first link is unuseful in my case

on the second link you'll find a post of mine, that says:
"BUT now I have a NEW issue: every now and then, Trados crashes at the end of reorganizing and I can avoid it only disabling KIS entirely ...
it means that KIS kills some other Trados routines, but I don't still know what, so when I'll have some time, I'll try to add other softwares, NET framework for example, to KIS exclusions to see what happens"

I've already set up Trados applications as trusted ones but the issue remains

I've already set up NET framework as a trusted application but the issue remains

putting MS Word among KIS unchecked applications is dangerous ...

and about Giles tips

Gareth's conclusion was that the problem is to do with registry access rights ... but WB 2007 requires administrator privileges.
I have usually administrator privileges

In the end, Gareth's solution was to disable Kaspersky, turn off UAC,
there is no UAC in MS Windows XP

repair the WB installation and run "Register SDL Trados 2007" from the program directory.
After re-enabling Kaspersky, WB 2007 seems to work, although it still has to be used with full administrator rights.
I'm testing it now. I'll let you know the results

so, I must find ALL other routines involved in Trados memory reorganizing that are killed by KIS

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-04-16 21:06 GMT]

Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
English to German
Sorry to hear about your problems Apr 16, 2010

I just skimmed your post from today and it sounded as if it were similar to my recent experience. Giles Watson managed to get KIS working for him, too, so I thought that would be the solution. Sorry it's not working for you.

[Edited at 2010-04-16 20:49 GMT]

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:59
Italian to English
KIS 2010, Windows 7 and Trados 2007 Apr 16, 2010

Hi Claudio,

As Rebekka says, I had a similar problem to yours but it was only because it took me a while to work out how to configure Workbench and MultiTerm as trusted programs, which didn't seem to be necessary with KIS on XP. Until I did that, WB was refusing even to start reorganising TMs in Windows 7, although I never had any issues with NET.

While I was sorting things out, I downloaded a trial version of Norton 2010, which worked satisfactorily on Windows 7 with Workbench. I would probably have purchased a licence for Norton if I hadn't been able to get KIS up to speed.

SSDA e in bocca al lupo,

Giles

Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Giles Apr 16, 2010

about your tip
Gareth's conclusion was that the problem is to do with registry access rights ... but WB 2007 requires administrator privileges.
I have usually administrator privileges

In the end, Gareth's solution was to disable Kaspersky, turn off UAC,
there is no UAC in MS Windows XP

repaired the WB installation
OK

run "Register SDL Trados 2007":
the register crashed!

so I restarted the PC and launched "Register SDL Trados 2007":
the register crashed again

then, I repaired the Sentinel installation, restarted my PC and launched "Register SDL Trados 2007":
finally it completed the job!!!

re-enabled Kaspersky, tried a memory reorganizing:
WB crashed again!

the error message is quite unusufel, anyway here it is:
AppName: tw4win.exe
AppVer: 8.2.0.835
ModName: tradosdatabase.dll
ModVer: 8.2.0.835
Offset: 00006b87

the moral of the story is that ONLY disabling Kaspersky, I can have WB 2007 reorganizing
so I still have to find the culprit

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-04-16 21:51 GMT]

Italy
TOPIC STARTER
KIS 2010: update to Trados issue and issues with MS Word and Wacom Bamboo tablet Apr 27, 2010

KIS 2010-Trados issue fixed!

under KIS 2010 Options>Threats and exclusions (or similar: I have the Italian version)
click on Exclusions>Options>Trustworthy applications (NOT on Exclusion rules)

then put TW4Win.exe in Trustworthy applications and put a check mark to
Don't monitor the activity of the application
and
Don't monitor the activity of the daughter application

now I can finally reorganize my memories without any crashes!

Claudio

P.S. 1: KIS 2010 upsets even the Wacom Bamboo driver and I've only partially fixed it putting klmouflt.sys in Exclusion rules (I cannot put it in Trustworthy applications as it is a sys file)

P.S. 2: I suspect KIS 2010 even for a new issue in MS Word, i.e a message about the impossibility to save normal.dot and the current opened file: I tried to put *.asd files (autosave files) in Exclusion rules but it doesn't work

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KIS 2010 kills Trados 2007 freelance during memory reorganizing

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search