Trados saves double segments
Thread poster: Greena
Apr 16, 2010

I have a problem that Trados is saving identical segments twice. When opening an already translated segment and getting a 100 % mach I check it and don't change anything. Filter settings etc. are identical and source and target text is identical. But next time I open it I get two 100 % matches to chose from, where both are exactly the same, including the filter settings etc. apart from the time when they were created. One will have the original time of creation and the other the second time the segment was opened. My memory does allow multiple translations but these are identical. I have also searched for them in the Maintenance function and Trados finds them both side by side, with only the time of creation differing.
It is happening with several different memories but still doesn't seem consistent and some segments are only saved once.

I can of course translate as usual and Trados is finding the segments as it should, it is just that the memories are growing unnecessarily big. Does anybody know anything about this problem or has experienced anything similar?

Thank you for any piece of advice!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:31
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Trados version? Apr 16, 2010

You are new here, so I would have expected you to read the criteria for posting to this forum.
Here are they again, quoted from what you also have seen when posting:
When posting about a CAT tool or other software program, include the product name, version, your operating system, and any other relevant details will avoid confusion and allow you to get or give better assistance.

[Edited at 2010-04-16 12:52 GMT]

Greena
TOPIC STARTER
Version Apr 16, 2010

Sorry, my CAT tool is Trados Translators Workbench 7.5 and I am using Word on Windows XP.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Looks like formatting problems in Word Apr 16, 2010

I would check, if the formatting of the text does match the styles defined.
Does your TM allow multiple 100% matches for same source segments?
This also may be the reason sometimes, however in such case Trados should not save different segments unless adviced to do so.
Does this behaviour occur for all texts or for a special one?

Greena
TOPIC STARTER
Formatting Apr 16, 2010

Hi Jerzy, thanks for your answer.

Yes the formatting is identical too (I have had that earlier and do occasionally save segments with different formatting, but in this case it is the same). Yes, in this case I do have multiple 100% matches for same source segments, but these are identical (to double check I wasn't oversseing anything I pasted them into two Word documents and used the compare document function and that didn't mark anything).

Yes it occurs for different texts, but doesn't seem to be consistent as some segments only are saved once. In one way it is not a serious problem as I can work anyway (although the TM:s are growing fast) but it is really nagging me that I can't find a solution. I have been working with Trados for nearly ten years and had lots of problems but so far never anything like this and never anything that has seemed so weird and difficult to solve.

Staffan

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It is a strange problem, indeed Apr 16, 2010

I also used to work with Workbench and Word for a very long time, and I hope I may consider myself as a quite experienced user of those. But I must admit, that I did not have your problem - occasionally I did have duplicate matches, but mainly because of formatting, field or similar problems.
However, in rare cases I remember also having a strange font, for which no corresponding font in my language was available (no CE font simply), Word substituted this font with another one, which also did not fully cover CE and inserted CE-characters in Arial Unicode then. In such situations I did have huge problems - corrupted segments, duplicate entries and so on.
So as a last ressort: please check, which font has been used and if Word is not substituting it with another strange one. Try to reformat the text to match the "Normal" style in Word - click in the text, selet the whole paragraph, press CTRL+SHIFT+N, which will apply the Normal style to the paragraph and press CTRL+SPACE, which will reset the complete formatting of the paragraph and try now again to translate with Trados.
If this also produces duplicates, I have to give up.
Then my only advice will be to upgrade to Trados 2007/2009 (come together in one package) and use either Tageditor in T2007 or better Studio (T2009). There you will most certainly not encounter such problems (but I will not say, that there are no problems at all, as the you'll consider me being fully naiveicon_biggrin.gif).

Best regards
Jerzy

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have a look at the translation units in a text file Apr 17, 2010

Something that might give an idea of why the units get duplicated is by exporting the translation memory to a text file, opening it with a text editor and then looking at the duplicate units.

Try to find any small differences in formatting codes, in the text fields or in the attribute fields.

There could be some differences which are not shown by MS Word but which might become visible when looking at the codes that Trados uses for the formatting.

On the other hand, I was wondering if a small mistake in the text fields (an extra dot, an extra blank space) might make Trados consider them different and then create the duplicates.

Daniel

Greena
TOPIC STARTER
No solution yet Apr 20, 2010

Thanks for your replies. Good ideas and the CTRL+SHIFT+N command is a very useful command that I didn't know before. Have tried the text export idea but cannot spot any differences. Also, I have a 1% formatting penalty in the TM:s so if Trados was finding something like that it shouldn't show the segment as a 100% match should it?

Anyway, I will keep my eyes open when working and see if I ever can spot the reason.

Staffan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados saves double segments

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search