Thread poster: Peter Sass

Peter Sass
Germany
Local time: 06:12
English to German
+ ...
Apr 16, 2010

Hi everyone,

I have a Multiterm 2009 termbank which is currently 400 MB large (based on a dictionary).
It is a local TB (on PC), ie. not server-based.

I'd like to use it in Trados Studio but whenever it is leveraged, Studio breaks down.
This is especially unfortunate as I was planning to expand the TB up to a size of about 2 GB.

Now, SDL somewhere say that termbanks could hold an unlimited number of entries, but I wonder what the actual 'working' size limit is to use them in Studio?

The same would be interesting to know regarding TM size and the overall of size of termbanks leveraged simultaneously in one project.

I would both like to know the 'official' specification and hear experiences in practise by other users.
Also, if there is a de facto size limit, are there still ways to make the TB leverage/search work better by changing settings (such as Java ones)?

Thanks for any hint.

PC: Windows XP, Pentium 4, 4GB RAM

[Bearbeitet am 2010-04-17 14:31 GMT]

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
works for me Apr 16, 2010

Don't understand this, Peter.
My termbase is 1.8 GB, my TM almost 1.5 GB. Both work fine with SDL Studio.

My computer specs are similar to yours, although I am running Windows 7 (64).

[Edited at 2010-04-16 17:30 GMT]

Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 16, 2010

.. a lot for the info Lutz! This gives me reason to believe that my problem may 'just' be related to one of the numerous Studio/MT bugs. So there's some hope I could get this TB to work.
Best wishes
Peter

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
2 GB boundary Apr 17, 2010

Peter Sass (M.A.) wrote:

I'd like to use it in Trados Studio but whenever it is leveraged, Studio breaks down.
This is especially unfortunate as I was planning to expand the TB up to a size of about 2 GB.

As the Multiterm is based on the MS Jet engine, the max. file size is 2 GB.
When this size is reached, the file will be corrupted.

Not tested with Multiterm but it's a well known MS Jet 4.0 issue.
So, beware.

Cheers
GG

Peter Sass
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Grzegorz Apr 17, 2010

Does this mean I could simply split up a larger termbank of say 4 GB in two and use both of them together? Or is there an overall 'working' size of termbanks leveraged simultaneously in one project?
Sorry to bother you with that, it just seems there is nowhere any official information by SDL on this.

[Bearbeitet am 2010-04-17 15:43 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
Multiple termbases... Apr 17, 2010

Peter Sass (M.A.) wrote:

Does this mean I could simply split up a larger termbank of say 4 GB in two and use both of them together? Or is there an overall 'working' size of termbanks leveraged simultaneously in one project?

Yes, you can.
In fact, I always have multiple termbases.
E.g. when I translate a typical IT related text (so I do now), it makes few sense to add my construction termbase to the project.
The probability to receive an interesting hit will be poor but the amount of data the DB engine must parse is greater, i.e. the searches are slower.
The problem is how many termbases you should have without generate too much information noise and too much unnecessary clicks icon_smile.gif

Sorry to bother you with that, it just seems there is nowhere any official information by SDL on this.

Well.
I suppose they can't even imagine a Trados user may have a termbase like that.
AFAIK most Trados users don't use terminology at all.
Some of them are not even aware Multiterm exist.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-04-17 15:46 GMT]

Slawomir Nieciecki  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
32-bit? Apr 18, 2010

Hello Peter
If you are using 32-bit Windows, 3 GB ram is maximum that can be used by system, regardless of how many GB ram is installed in your computer.
So probably you do not have enough ram.

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Very unlikely Apr 18, 2010

Slawomir Nieciecki wrote:

Hello Peter
If you are using 32-bit Windows, 3 GB ram is maximum that can be used by system, regardless of how many GB ram is installed in your computer.

First of all, the system can shovel extra data in the pagefile so 3 gig isn't the ultimate limit.

More importantly, Multiterm, dumb as it is in some ways, is smarter than to load all active termbases into memory. It indexes termbases, allowing reasonably fast searches without requiring crazy amounts of the system resources. E.g. I just opened about 30 termbases with 300,000 or so entries and ~1GB total size; that took up an extra 40 MB of memory.

French to Polish
+ ...
Urban legends Apr 18, 2010

Slawomir Nieciecki wrote:

False.
It depends of the hardware architecture.
My Fujitsu-Siemens servers with 32-bit Windows address something like 3.9 GB.
My desktops see 3.25 GB.

It has no impact.
As not all the data base content is loaded in the memory, your project may include more data than your RAM size.
The biggest MS Jet related project I ever had was far above 4 GB.

Cheers
GG

French to Polish
+ ...
2 GB adress space for application Apr 18, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

First of all, the system can shovel extra data in the pagefile so 3 gig isn't the ultimate limit.

The problem is rather the default 2 GB adress space for 32-bit application.
But, in my life, I saw only one application able to fill 2 GB of memory.
And crash, of course.

Oooops...
I realized I know the second one icon_smile.gif
T2009 Studio may eat all the allowed 2 GB memory space while generating AutoSuggest dictionnaries from huge TMs.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-04-18 17:07 GMT]

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Experience with adding multiple termbases to a project Apr 22, 2010

I experience very frequent crashes when trying to add a lot of Multiterm termbases at once to a project. However, it works if I add them at the rate of about 3 to 6 at a time, and then, separately, after the project has been saved with them added, add another 3 to 6 (depending on size) and so on. It is also problematic at times if I try to add absolutely all of them, but I have had it work, so it is not impossible. They are not all that big, but all of them together are just over 1 GB - and that tends to be problematic.

I have a 32-bit system, and - theoretically - 4 GB RAM.

[Edited at 2010-04-22 18:56 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maximum working termbank and TM size

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search