Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
2009 SP2 - experienced issues
Thread poster: hhl

hhl
Local time: 14:26
English to German
Apr 18, 2010

I'm opening this thread to summarize the issues I'm experiencing during my intense work with this tool (only SP2, please!). Again, I'll use numbers, so that any comments from collegues can be referenced directly and found easily.

[01] Splitting/Joining segments, while display filter is active

Consider, in a longer text, you want to see "fuzzy matches" only, and focus on translating/amending these segments. So you will turn on the "Display Filter" (an excellent feature). - However, after splitting or joining segments, you will see all segments again (ignoring the filter), although the display filter bar will still show "Fuzzies only".

Direct link Reply with quote Turn social sharing on.
Like 14

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Joining segments in filtered view Apr 18, 2010

seems very strange to me...
Otherwise why do you wanna split/join segments after having done the translation? Or am I missing a point here? Or do you mean the option to show only untranslated segments and hide all already confirmed segments?
If this is what you mean, I did not encounter this behaviour yet, as I did not try to split/merge in filtered view - have had no necessity for that, but will explicitly check later.

Like 18

hhl
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
[01] Splitting segments in filtered view May 8, 2010

@Jerzy:
Method of translating may be different, depending on the content as such. Often I receive very long files (.itd files from TMS, for Web pages), where most of it is already translated/approved and only parts of the text need amendments/new translation. The filtered view is very helpful here. But every now and then it happens, that the TMS segmentation delivered not appropriate segments, and I need to split them (joining/merging is not possible most times). Doing so brings back the display of all segments again, which is very uncomfortable, and I believe, this could be easily avoided in the program code.

Like 4

hhl
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
[02] Status line settings are not retained May 8, 2010

The status line displays the currently translated/new/fuzzy/approved/... percentage of the file. But I prefer displaying the wordcount, as it gives me a better idea of how much time I need to complete the work.

==>

The display type can be changed by double-click, however, I need to change the setting each time I restart the application.
It should be possible to make this setting permanent in the "options".

[Bearbeitet am 2010-05-08 09:33 GMT]

Like 14

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Confirming number 2 May 8, 2010

And being already annoyed by that since the very beginning. I hope this will change soon - Studio should keep ALL user settings after restart unless instructed not to do so.

Please also consider to post your ideas at ideas.sdltrados.com - this is a good portal to make the ideas known to a wider group of pepople than just user of ProZ.

Like 8

hhl
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
[03] Automatic replacement of numbers does not follow official standards [German-Germany only] May 8, 2010

Thankfully SP2 introduced a new feature that allows to separate numbers/measurement units by the locally required characters automatically (in project settings):

But there is no way to keep Studio from replacing the US/UK 3-digit separator (comma) with a wrong separator for "German for Germany" (a point/dot). "German for Switzerland", which is an apostroph, is handled correctly, but for Germany the correct separator is a space (preferrable a protected space) and not a point (which may be used for currency numbers as an exception).

Example:
(US/UK) 1,234,456.789 should read 1 234 456,789 in Germany, (and not 1.234.456,789)
(The Swiss version is correct with 1'234'456,789.)

Why is this a big issue? Because of the auto-propagation. You may grudgingly ignore the incorrect replacement and correct a few numbers in a longer copy manually, but if your file contains many numbers or even lists with numbers, you get nerved. The autopropagation might even replace already corrected numbers with the wrong format!

For those who want to learn more about it:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zahlenschreibweise (a nice overview with references)

Like 13

Peter Mueller  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
[04]Term recognition not working with converted/imported TM from Trados 2007 May 20, 2010

[04] I have imported my TM from 2007 and now run a bunch of files for a regular customer. In my TM I have words and phrases that I know I have translated before. When I call the segment, I get no suggestions. When I do a concordance search, nothing comes up. Only when I switch to the Translation Memory view and open my TM, I can do a search there and find the translations. Even when there is a 100% match I do not get the segment suggested in Editor.
This basically renders my TM useless and means I have to re-translate all those segments.

In the project settings, the TM is activated and concordance is active.

Anyone seen this problem too? Any hints on a solution?

[Bearbeitet am 2010-05-20 09:05 GMT]

Like 8

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:26
French to English
+ ...
Agree May 20, 2010

hhl wrote:

The status line displays the currently translated/new/fuzzy/approved/... percentage of the file. But I prefer displaying the wordcount, as it gives me a better idea of how much time I need to complete the work.

==>

The display type can be changed by double-click, however, I need to change the setting each time I restart the application.
It should be possible to make this setting permanent in the "options".

I've only just seen this, and can confirm that this is an annoyance. Not a major one, but it would be really nice if this were fixed.

Like 17

julienwp
France
English to French
Check in your project folder May 21, 2010

prmueller wrote:

[04] I have imported my TM from 2007 and now run a bunch of files for a regular customer. In my TM I have words and phrases that I know I have translated before. When I call the segment, I get no suggestions. When I do a concordance search, nothing comes up. Only when I switch to the Translation Memory view and open my TM, I can do a search there and find the translations. Even when there is a 100% match I do not get the segment suggested in Editor.
This basically renders my TM useless and means I have to re-translate all those segments.

In the project settings, the TM is activated and concordance is active.

Anyone seen this problem too? Any hints on a solution?

[Bearbeitet am 2010-05-20 09:05 GMT]

Hi! Did you check in your project folder? Studio creates a project TM which only contains part of the original TM (the one you've migrated from 2007). I would recommend you to use the "Prepare without project TM" task sequence, last step during project creation. This way, every new segment goes into your upgraded TM and you can access older translations as well (i.e. made with Trados 2007).

Hope this can help.

Regards

Like 4

hhl
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
[05] Save Report as: no Excel option May 21, 2010

Although I used the feature often in the past—since some time Studio does no longer allow me to save reports in Excel format. Only html, mht and xml are offered:

I have no clue why.

[Bearbeitet am 2010-05-21 18:11 GMT]

Like 6

Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
[06] Trados doesn't do Excel anymore (unless you install Excel) May 25, 2010

This is related to [05], and it's a real bummer: I am using Trados on a Mac, i. e. I run it in Parallel Desktops. I do have Office 2008 for Mac, so I am not interested in shelling out extra money to buy Excel for Windows. When I try to translate an Excel file in Trados, I get an error message preventing me from opening the file, since Excel is not installed on my (virtual) PC. Thus, Trados does not do Excel anymore as of version 2009.

They didn't tell that in the advertising. A true downgrade, since this did work with Trados 2007.

Like 7

Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
"Prepare without project TM" won't do the trick [04] Jun 15, 2010

JulienP wrote:

I would recommend you to use the "Prepare without project TM" task sequence, last step during project creation.

Actually, this is my standard setting when creating new projects in Trados 2009.

Like 18

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Should be implemented soon Jun 15, 2010

hhl wrote:

Although I used the feature often in the past—since some time Studio does no longer allow me to save reports in Excel format. Only html, mht and xml are offered:

I have no clue why.

[Bearbeitet am 2010-05-21 18:11 GMT]

I already posted this on the Ideas site and this idea has been accepted for future development. I hope the future won't take too long to arrive...

Excel (CSV) reports were especially useful for third-party applications, such as Projetex (or TO3000). Following my suggestion, the AIT guys promptly added the possibility to load Studio XML files into CAT Count.

Like 12

hhl
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
[05 reason discovered] Save Report as: no Excel option Jul 27, 2010

If you have another Excel workbook open at the time you want to save an analyse to .xlsx file format, the following message pops up:

Do you want to save the changes you made to [name of your open workbook]?
[Yes] [No] [Cancel]

However, this message does not make its way to the top of the screen layers, it remains behind your Studio environment, so that you cannot see it. But you can complete the process of saving the analyse as .xlsx file. - The message will not disappear until you bring Excel to the foreground and click [Cancel].

Reason for issue [05]:
If you do not click away that "hidden" message, continueing work with Studio, and you attempt to save any analyse report thereafter, Studio will no longer give you the option to save it in Excel format (obviously, because Excel is not available at this point due to the open message window).

Why is this (hiddden) message window popping up at all?

Like 6

Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
[06] Selecting part of text and deleting it will delete whole paragraph Aug 28, 2010

When I select part of sentence and then delete it (or simply start typing), all of the paragraph (i. e. also the non-selected parts) are deleted.

Note: This behavior affects the paragraph, not the whole segment. In segments containing more than one paragraph it affects only the paragraph you work on (where text is selected).

Like 11

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2009 SP2 - experienced issues

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search