Can I reinstall the SDL Studio 2009 I purchased?
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 18, 2010

Hello everyone,

I bought Studio 2009 a few months ago and installed it on two PCs, but for various reasons I have to empty one of the PCs and start again from scratch. I intend to copy all my TMs etc. and reinstall afterwards, but I would like to have confirmation that it is possible to reinstall Studio with the original codes.

Thanks a lot.

Mervyn

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Return your License Apr 18, 2010

Hi Mervyn,

This is perfectly possible as long as you return your licence safely to your customer centre before you format your PC, otherwise the licence server will think you are still using it.

• Go to Start > Programs > SDL > SDL Trados Studio 2009 > License Manager. The SDL License Manager window is displayed.
  • Click View Activated Licenses. The Installed Licenses dialog box is displayed.
  • Select the license you want to return and click Return License. The license is returned to the online product activation centre.
  • When the license has been returned, click OK and then click Close. You can now install the product on another machine, or the same one again, and then activate the product online using the same product activation code.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-04-18 17:56 GMT]

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ... Apr 18, 2010

a lot, Paul.

Best regards,

Mervyn

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same thing three years on May 13, 2013

Hi Paul,

I'm now about to do exactly the same thing with all 3 versions of Trados, having bought Studio 2011 recently - and will shortly be handing in the three licences for this machine while my disk is reformatted.

Dumb question: since I'm saving all my info to load it onto the hard disk again, including all my Trados installation files, those samefiles will execute again without having to download again, right?

Although, having said that, I have some occasional crashes and start refusals with 2007 and 2009, and it's tempting to start from scratch and download again. Do you think it would make any difference if I downloaded and installed the lot of them?

Thanks a lot.

Mervyn

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
Studio 2009 and 2011 May 13, 2013

Mervyn,
if you've bought Studio 2011, you will not be able to reactivate Studio 2009 later on if you return it's licence as per Paul's instructions!
SDL assumes you won't need Studio 2009 any longer after buying Studio 2011, so that's the deal.

best regards.

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No 2009? May 13, 2013

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for that.

Are you sure? "My Licences" shows all 3 licences sitting there, although I haven't returned any yet, of course.

I've only used Studio 2011 a couple of times just to test-drive it with Studio 2009 TMs, and it seems to be identical to 2009, with the exception of the odd new doo-dah. I don't see why they would assume I don't need 2009 any more.

Any confirmation from Paul or others on this one?

Thanks,

Mervyn

Lorenzo Bermejo
English to Spanish
+ ...
sure! May 13, 2013

Mervyn, sure.
once you've bought Studio 2011, you will always be able to continue using Studio 2009 provided that you don't return the licence for it. i.e., you won't be able to install it again.
Paul will surely confirm this later on, be patient!
best regards.

United Kingdom
English
Studio 2011 upgrade? May 13, 2013

Hi Mervyn,

We don't assume anything here. The way it works is this. If you upgrade then then you are effectively changing 2009 into 2011. They are separate applications so in practice you can run them both at the same time. But as you upgraded you will indeed lose the 2009 license as soon as you return it or need to try and reactivate it.

If you purchase the full version, so not an upgrade, then you will never lose the 2009 license and can deactivate and activate as many times as you like.

Regards

Paul

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not an upgrade May 13, 2013

Hi Paul,

No, I bought the full Studio 2011 version at around 1,000 euros including VAT, mainly because I liked the idea of having the "Holy Trinity" all the time in case I had temporary problems with one or even two versions, leaving me at least another on standby.

Your reply means I can have 2007, 2009 and 2011 all the time, then, which was the idea.

Also, since I posted the original dumb question in my "Same thing three years on" post above as to whether those same instalment files will execute in the same way, I know that the answer is obviously yes, they will.

Thanks and best regards,

Mervyn

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All reinstalled except Studio 2011 May 17, 2013

In the end I reinstalled all 3 versions of SDL, and it only failed at the last one - Studio 2011, my latest purchase - telling me my licence is already operating on another machine (support reference License Number Already Used-23), which it is, because I used to have all 3 of them operating on two PCs.

I did attempt to return all the licences before I started the PC-emptying process, and admittedly got an error message on one occasion, but just didn't have time to sort it all out before I had to empty the computer.

Now I am allowed to run Studio 2011 on the free 30-day trial as of yesterday, but since I was obviously concerned about this and made inquiries about it beforehand, I would like to retrieve that licence. Is this possible?

Best regards,

Mervyn

United Kingdom
English
Use the solution finder... May 17, 2013

... to contact licensing and they can sort you out. Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- I have lost one of my license activations and would like to have it reset.

Pick the correct route for you and if appropriate you will be presented with a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a day.

Also make sure your email address is entered correctly or nobody will be able to get back in touch with you.

Regards

Paul

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks ... May 17, 2013

... a lot, Paul, for the rapid response. I'll do that - I had been at the site this morning, but kept going round in circles.

Very best regards,

Mervyn

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Licence reset May 17, 2013

The SDL support service was VERY fast and efficient on this one. Once the problem had been explained, they lost no time in resetting reset my licence and now Studio 2011 is working fine.

Thanks to everyone, especially Paul here, and Michael at SDL.

Very best regards,

Mervyn

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I reinstall the SDL Studio 2009 I purchased?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search