Problems merging segments in Studio 2009
Thread poster: Emma Goldsmith

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:20
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Apr 19, 2010

I have a strange problem when merging segments in Studio 2009. After merging, any match from my TM gets entered in the TARGET segment, making it unusable.

1. I merge two segments (control click in the segment no. column, right click "merge segments".
2. Studio finds a 100% match with the newly merged segment but instead of offering it in the target segment it puts it into the source segment.
3. "Undo" no longer works to get rid of it. Splitting this segment doesn't help because it splits the translated term.
4. This has happened with ttx, doc and docx files on different occasions.

SDL Support has looked at this and cannot reproduce it, so I am wondering if anyone else out there is experiencing the same problem or if I am on my own on this one?

Richard Hall  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:20
Italian to English
+ ...
Me, too Apr 20, 2010

Yes, I have exactly the same problem.

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
has anyone else experienced this issue? Apr 22, 2010

@Richard
I''m sorry but pleased to hear you have the same problem.icon_smile.gif

Hasn't anyone else seen translated content in source segments after merging?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
How can we repro the problem? Apr 22, 2010

Hi Emma, Richard,

This is a truly bizarre issue. Can you provide any guidance on how we can repro this problem ourselves so we can look at it? If you have any sample files to help and a step by step approach that would be even better.

Regards

Paul

Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
simple test file Apr 22, 2010

Hi Paul,
- I'll send you a simple file with 2 segments for you to merge. (The first ends with an abbreviation followed by a full stop, so merging is possible)
- I'll also send you a TM containing a 100% match for the merged segment.

The problem (that I hope you can reproduce) is that on merging, the 100% match jumps into the source segment and then I can't split it or edit the source which is now in my target language.

If anyone else fancies setting this up on their machines out of interest it would be interesting to hear of the result...

Regards,
Emma

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems merging segments in Studio 2009

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search