Question about Term Recognition function in Studio 2009
Thread poster: aasimar
Apr 19, 2010

Hi everyone,

A friend of mine (another ProZ user) and I have been trying to figure this one out for a whole day while working on separate projects, and since we haven't come up with a good solution, I thought I'd ask here:

In Trados 2007, term recognition worked in such a way that translations were only shown for one term at a time. This made it easy to work quickly, because there normally wouldn't be more than three or four translations for the same term (so all of them would be showing at the same time) and there were quick ways to switch between terms when necessary - by clicking on the red "bracket" above words or by using the Alt + arrow key shortcuts.

Now, in Studio 2009, the Term Recognition window shows the translations for all the terms recognized in the segment, so you inevitably have to go to the Term Recognition pane and scroll manually, which is really annoying if there are seven or eight words with multiple possible translations and I'm not sure about the translation for, say, one in the middle and for the last two (i.e., if there are twenty-eight or so translations for terms in total, it's hard to find the right one, whereas if there are only four, it's pretty easy). My question is: is there any way to work around this?

FYI:

The feature in which Studio suggests a translation as you type (if it's one of the recognized translations) is not useful to me in this case because sometimes I don't remember a translation and I end up going to the pane and scrolling through it.

As a temporary fix, my friend decided to make the pane a floating pane, to move it to the very left, and to expand it all the way from top to bottom. This helps, but it still requires manual scrolling sometimes.

Although everything else in Studio has been working great so far, this is a real drag on my productivity - especially when working with multiple termbases. Anyone have any ideas?

PS. I have read the Help documentation on this, but I'm either thick or there wasn't anything that could be done.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:31
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What about using the "Insert term"? Apr 19, 2010

The default shortcut is CTRL+SHIFT+L (AFAIR, I've changed it long ago to ALT+ARROW DOWN). This gives you at least a list of all terms recognized, so you can chose the necessary one with arrrow keys.
But in fact you could create a new idea (or check, if there isn't already one) on ideas.sdltrados.com for having the old way of using placeables/terminology with "previous - current - next". AFAIK there is no such possibility in Studio.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:31
English to Czech
+ ...
Perhaps another idea Apr 20, 2010

Hello,
in addition to the advice mentioned by Jerzy, you may want to undock and resize the term recognition pane to show all terms from a segment at once. Studio layout is very flexible and the individual panes can be moved around your screen(s) at your will.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about Term Recognition function in Studio 2009

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search