Thread poster: Trad_Francais
Trad_Francais
Trad_Francais
Local time: 23:01
French to English
+ ...
Apr 20, 2010

I am working on a word file.

My OS is XP and Trados version is SDL 2007.

When i open a segment of a French file, the French letters like é,à, ç etc are changing into Japaneese fonts.

I have removed the Japaneese language in Regional Langugage Settings tab in Control Panel.

I have also removed all the languages except French and English from Start-Programs-MS Office 2003 tools-language settings.

But still i have the same prob.... See more

When i open a segment of a French file, the French letters like é,à, ç etc are changing into Japaneese fonts.

I have removed the Japaneese language in Regional Langugage Settings tab in Control Panel.

I have also removed all the languages except French and English from Start-Programs-MS Office 2003 tools-language settings.

But still i have the same prob.

Can anyone help me out with this pls?

Thanks in advance
Collapse

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 12:31
Spanish to French
+ ...
font Apr 20, 2010

Hi Trad_Francais,

If you look at the font name for the text that has this problem in your document (I am assuming you use Word), do you have it installed on your computer? Namely, is it some kind of exotic font, or a standard one like Arial, Times, etc.?

quote]Trad_Francais wrote:

When i open a segment of a French file, the French letters
... See more
Hi Trad_Francais,

If you look at the font name for the text that has this problem in your document (I am assuming you use Word), do you have it installed on your computer? Namely, is it some kind of exotic font, or a standard one like Arial, Times, etc.?

quote]Trad_Francais wrote:

But still i have the same prob.

Can anyone help me out with this pls?

Thanks in advance [/quote]
Collapse

Trad_Francais
Trad_Francais
Local time: 23:01
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is Times New Roman before opening the segment and 'MS Mincho' after opening the segment Apr 21, 2010

It is 'Times New Roman' before opening the segment and 'MS Mincho' after opening the segment.

Am using MS Word only.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 20:31
French to English
+ ...
MS Mincho Apr 21, 2010

probably does not support French accents. The font may have changed because the original saved style was MS Mincho.
The way I would try to solve this problem (which I encountered in a similar form) is to change the style font (Format menu > Styles and Formatting > [Select Style] > Modify > Font).
Save your document first.
If the style you work in is Normal, you should apply a different style to the source text (such as Body Text) because updating the Normal style may cause a
... See more
probably does not support French accents. The font may have changed because the original saved style was MS Mincho.
The way I would try to solve this problem (which I encountered in a similar form) is to change the style font (Format menu > Styles and Formatting > [Select Style] > Modify > Font).
If the style you work in is Normal, you should apply a different style to the source text (such as Body Text) because updating the Normal style may cause a major mess in all the styles that are based on it.
If the document you work in supports complex scripts (Japanese?), make sure that the complex script font (same Modify Font window) is also set to Times New Roman.
Press OK.
The problem may occur only in the complex script, in which case you simply change the font in that section, and save the style. In such a case, the Normal style will probably survive the update without problems. Make sure you save the file first, because saving a style cannot be undone in Word 2003.
Of course, you may use other standard fonts, such as Arial.
HTH.

[Edited at 2010-04-21 18:43 GMT]
Collapse

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 12:31
Spanish to French
+ ...
no wonder... Apr 21, 2010

Page about MS Mincho:
http://www.lexikan.com/mincho.htm
You might want to discuss the changes with your customer to get their approval before making changes though.

Sangro wrote:

If the style you work in is Normal, you should apply a different style to the source text (such as Body Text) because updating the Normal style may cause a major mess in all the styles that are based on it.
If the document you work in supports complex scripts (Japanese?), make sure that the complex script font (same Modify Font window) is also set to Times New Roman.
Press OK.
HTH.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French language changes into Japaneese while opening a segment

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »