Problem opening mdb sdlx database in Trados Studio 2009
Thread poster: metallus

metallus
Local time: 21:11
Apr 20, 2010

Hi guys. I am having trouble opening .mdb sdlx translation memory files in Trados Studio 2009. When i try to open one, I get this error message:

Translation memory "PATH" could not be loaded: Failed to open selected translation memory (error code=-2149467259)

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Need to convert Apr 20, 2010

SDLX TMs cannot be opened directly in Studio. You need to upgrade them to Studio TMs first. Click the "Upgrade Translation Memories" button in Studio and select the ones you need.

HTH
Stefan

metallus
TOPIC STARTER
reply Apr 20, 2010

When I do that I get the above mentioned error message right after i add the .mdb translation memory to be upgraded.

Anyone encountered this issue?

Fabian Luttman  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:11
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same problem here.... Jan 13, 2011

metallus wrote:

When I do that I get the above mentioned error message right after i add the .mdb translation memory to be upgraded.

Anyone encountered this issue?

Hello,
I came across the same problem...
I have some .mdb TMs from SDL 2007 that I want to use with Studio 2009 but I get the same error trying to open any of them in order to upgrade them to Studio 2009...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Fabian

kso
I have found the solution in SDL Knowledge Base Aug 6, 2011

I am struggling with the same problem right now, but I have found the solution in SDL Knowledge Base. I am going to share it with you in case you come across this problem:

"Troubleshooting error -2147467259 when trying to upgrade SDLX-based TMs in SDL Trados Sudio 2009 SP2

Symptoms
You are trying to upgrade an SDLX translation memory. When you open the translation memory for upgrade in SDL Trados Studio 2009 the following error occurs:

The translation memory ´C:\[path to SDLX translation memory]\[TM name].mdb´ could not be loaded:
'Failed to open the selected translation memory (error code= -2147467259).´
Click OK to continue loading the translation memories or click Cancel to stop loading the translation memories.

Clicking on OK or Cancel in this dialog box stops the loading process and you are not able to upgrade the translation memory.

Explanation
This behavior occurs only on Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows 7. When you try to upgrade an SDLX translation memory that you have not used before with your SDLX installation, the information about the system account username (that you use to login to your operating system) is missing in the SDLX translation memory, and this leads to the symptoms described in this article.

Resolution
Follow one of the solutions to work work around this behavior.

Solution 1:
Open SDLX Maintain.
Click TM > Open…
Browse to the SDLX TM and open it.
When prompted select a username from the list.
After the SDLX TM has opened you can close the SDLX Maintain.
The translation memory upgrade wizard should now be able to add the SDLX TM for the translation memory upgrade into the list without the error occurring.

Solution 2:
Note: This solution is only possible if you have an application installed that can open MDB Database files (for example Microsoft Access).

Open the SDLX TM with the extension *.mdb in Microsoft Access.
Open the table TMUser.
In the column UserName enter your account name that you use to log into you Operating System.
In the column UserDescription add the name that you used in the UserName column.
Save the changes you made and close Microsoft Access.
The translation memory upgrade wizard should now be able to add the SDLX TM for the translation memory upgrade into the list without the error occurring."

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Open a SDLX TM in Studio Aug 6, 2011

Hi kso,

You have an app: http://www.sdl.com/de/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=28
for use your SDLX TM's direct in Studio.

It's works fine.

Geneviève

Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
How to open SDLX Maintain?? Feb 18, 2012

kso wrote:

Solution 1:
Open SDLX Maintain.
Click TM > Open…
Browse to the SDLX TM and open it.
When prompted select a username from the list.
After the SDLX TM has opened you can close the SDLX Maintain.
The translation memory upgrade wizard should now be able to add the SDLX TM for the translation memory upgrade into the list without the error occurring.

Hi!
I'm trying to follow this troubleshoot but already go stuck on Step 1!
Where do I find SDLX Maintain?

Alternatively, is there a way to go into Trados 2007 and convert the mdb file to something more palatable to Studio 2009? I always work in Studio 2009 and have only opened Trados 2007 a few times so I really don't know my way around the program at all.

Any help is much appreciatedicon_smile.gif

~ Signe

Signe Golly  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
App - and then what? Feb 18, 2012

Geneviève von Levetzow wrote:

Hi kso,

You have an app: http://www.sdl.com/de/language-technology/sdl-openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=28
for use your SDLX TM's direct in Studio.

It's works fine.

Geneviève

Hi!
I downloaded the above-mentioned app and went through the installation... And then - nothing. I don't see the app/program anywhere on my desktop or in any of the Trados folders. I tried opening/upgrading the mdb file that I'm having trouble with in Studio 2009 but nothing is changed from before. Still get the same error message.
I can't seem to find any guide for the app - what am I supposed to do once it's installed to make it actually work in Studio 2009?
Thanks,
Signe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem opening mdb sdlx database in Trados Studio 2009

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search