Freelancer trying to work efficiently across two computers
Thread poster: Patrick Oblander

Patrick Oblander  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:29
Japanese to English
Apr 20, 2010

Hi,
I purchased a license for Studio 2009 allowing me to use the product on two computers (a desktop and laptop). When I'm on the road and using my laptop, I can't network in to the desktop, where my TM and termbase are stored, so I make copies of these databases to go with me, and then update the desktop's version when I get back.
Is there an easier and more direct way to keep my TM and termbase up to date?
Ideally, I'd like to be able to work directly with the main databases, for example by placing them on a server, but haven't a clue how to do so.
Thanks,
Patrick

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:29
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
have you though about an exteral HD? Apr 20, 2010

to start with a pendrive should be enough, after a while you may need to switch to a normal external HD - you could plug it into computer you use at the moment.

Cheers
S

Ronald van der Linden  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:29
German to Dutch
+ ...
www.dropbox.com Apr 20, 2010

Free software.
Synchronizes data between computers through the internet up to 1 Gb.

Best,
Ronald

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:29
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
dropbox Apr 20, 2010

I use dropbox for TMs and termbases. Of course, you do need an internet connection to keep the dropbox folder up to date on laptop and desktop.
https://www.dropbox.com/features

Edit: Dropbox users are well sync'dicon_smile.gif as you can see from the timing of our messages!

[Edited at 2010-04-20 21:36 GMT]

Edit: I think the free storage limit is 2GB actually.

[Edited at 2010-04-20 21:37 GMT]

Patrick Oblander  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nice answers! Apr 20, 2010

Beautiful solutions!
The pen drive idea is pretty good, but I was really glad to hear about Dropbox (a service I didn't know existed). Very elegant, with apparently no maintenance or moving files around once I have it in place. And free for up to 2GB no less.
Life is good.
Thanks everyone!

Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:29
Member (2008)
English to French
Thank you for sharing this tool! Apr 21, 2010

I've been doing this the hard way... with a 16GB USB drive shuttling back and forth between 3 (!) computers + a backup drive - while 2GB is a little small (my main TM is over 1GB itself) I see that you can purchase a 100GB access. I'll test this baby out to see if it works behind China's great firewall and if it does I'll be in business!icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you very much for sharing these types of tools that, even though they don't relate directly to translating are probably of use to many many translators!

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Remote desktop Apr 21, 2010

This might not be suitable for your particular neeeds, but you could use some kind of remote desktop application (there was a topic about it recently).

You could have your translation application on your desktop computer and access it from your laptop - this, however, requires a steady (and quite fast) Internet connection all the time. I have tried it myself - I did my work on my home computer from across half of the country, courtesy of my wife's laptop. I was surprised how well it worked!

Another option would be to have the translation app on your laptop and access it remotely from your desktop. This, however, might now work that well if the laptop is significantly slower. And, of course, questions the need to have a desktop at all...

Celine Gras  Identity Verified

English to French
+ ...
External HD Apr 21, 2010

This is what I use in order to work on 3 different computers (1 desktop and 2 laptops).

The thing is, rather than working from the computer hard drive and copying the TMs and files on the external HD, I work directly in the external HD. This way I am sure I am always working on the most updated files and TMs.

Every time I use a different computer, I backup my external HD on it. This way, I have 4 backups of my files, and at least 2 backups of my current projects, and I know I am always working on my most up-to-date files.

Then, once in a while, I backup my external HD on Mozy.com.

HTH

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Remote desktop... VPN... Apr 21, 2010

Jabberwock wrote:

This might not be suitable for your particular neeeds, but you could use some kind of remote desktop application (there was a topic about it recently).

Yep.
Trados Freelance detects the standard Windows RDP connection and disables the license, so you should use different RDP software.
But it works with TeamViewer and other.
RDP may save you a lot of money for software (you need only one license).

You could have your translation application on your desktop computer and access it from your laptop - this, however, requires a steady (and quite fast) Internet connection all the time. I have tried it myself - I did my work on my home computer from across half of the country, courtesy of my wife's laptop. I was surprised how well it worked!

It works very well on LAN (I use often RDP with my QuadCore for batch processing), the quality is good enough over a standard fast Internet connections (including mobile phone 3G).
Of course, you can't watch video on 'em icon_smile.gif

If your home router supports VPN, you can access your data on your home machines (rather for synchronization purpose than to work directly on 'em, the bandwidth is too narrow for working online).

I don't use Dropbox etc. 'cause I store all my files on a file server accessible for all my machines but I suppose it may be a decent solution for a mobile translator.

If you use both machines simultaneosly at home, you should consider rather some file sharing solution over the LAN.
An external hard drive with Ethernet connector may be interesting (you may spot drives with both Ethernet and USB, so you may bring all the stuff with you when you're out of home, the problem is these disks are big (3,5') and need more power than a USB connector may provide, so they're not fully autonomous like the 2.5' ones).

Be careful with pendrives, some of them are too slow and the software performance will be considerably degraded.

As you like.
You have a lot of possibilities.

Cheers
GG

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Dropbox once more Apr 21, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I don't use Dropbox etc. 'cause I store all my files on a file server accessible for all my machines but I suppose it may be a decent solution for a mobile translator.

If you use both machines simultaneosly at home, you should consider rather some file sharing solution over the LAN.

An interesting combination of sentences. icon_smile.gif

I take myself for a well-informed user, and I do have a server accessible to all my machines, but all the same I use Dropbox and I do think it is a great "sharing solution over a LAN" as the software takes care of many details I could look after myself but there's no need since it does it for me.

But as you say, we all have to make our own choices that suit us best.

Antonin

French to Polish
+ ...
Simultaneous vs sequential use... Apr 21, 2010

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

An interesting combination of sentences. icon_smile.gif

Simultanously is... just truely simultaneously icon_smile.gif
As I work with my wife, we use mostly DVX, we share data i.e. we access simultaneously the same TMs/termbases and projects.
If we start to use something like Dropbox to "synchronize" our core files, it will be a beautiful disaster icon_smile.gif

I take myself for a well-informed user, and I do have a server accessible to all my machines, but all the same I use Dropbox and I do think it is a great "sharing solution over a LAN" as the software takes care of many details I could look after myself but there's no need since it does it for me.

Dropbox is fine for "sequential" use.

But as you say, we all have to make our own choices that suit us best.

Yep.
I don't say Dropbox is bad.
It's simply not suitable for me.

Cheers
GG

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Sorry I misunderstood Apr 21, 2010

Yes, in your setup Dropbox does not improve things.

Antonin

Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
LiveMesh Apr 21, 2010

I needed a solution for the problem you described and my son installed LiveMesh on my computer, Laptop and Netbook. It works perfectly and I can access my work folder on any computer around the world. Don't ask me for details, I don't know them.
The only thing I have to worry about is to turn on my 3 machines once or twice the week, so that they can synchronize (update). And I know that there is a limit in GB for storing, but it must be big. And it's free!

French to Polish
+ ...
Sorry I misunderstood... Sorry, I was not very clear... Apr 21, 2010

When I reread my post, I have no impression I wrote it in a very clear manner...

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Yes, in your setup Dropbox does not improve things.

So I said.
It's not bad but it's not for me.

Generally, I fear this kind of synchronization software.
When you make a big mistake and your software assumes the last version is always correct, you're f!#$ royally unless you have a valid backup.
As I see, few people has valid regular backups.

I.e. I prefer rather version control systems but the implementation of this kind of systems is an overkill for a typical freelance translator.
In fact, the version tracking software seems to be too difficult for SDL developpers.
Yes, I remember different versions with the same build number icon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Dutch
+ ...
IDrive does incremental backups online.. Apr 21, 2010

... and I think it keeps the last few versions of all files. Still, I never actually use it, as it's only meant as a safety net.

For real day-to-day work on the same files on various computers you're probably better off with a portable HDD, as already mentioned. I would lose track of the various versions of a file.

I think there are Windows tools that can recognize newer versions of files when you come home and update the "master files" automatically, but I never looked into it.

Let us know if you find something useful.

- Rien

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelancer trying to work efficiently across two computers

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search