Thread poster: Ruth Ramsey

Ruth Ramsey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:58
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Apr 21, 2010

Hello

This is the first time I have posted a question on this forum.

I have a one-month trial of SDL Trados Studio 2009. However, I'm having problems getting started. When I get to the last step of the wizard when creating a new project (Preparing Project Page), whereas four of the items have a green arrow next to them (indicating no errors or warnings) the first item on the list "Convert to Translatable Format" has a red cross next to it and the number 1 is shown next to the word "Errors".

Does anyone know why this is happening? I think I've created the TM memory ok and have selected the appropriate languages.

I was told by a member of the SDL team that it is not possible to use MultiTerm files as this is not part of the software. I'm assuming this means I can't add a Termbase in trial mode, so I left that page of the wizard blank. I'm not sure if this is the cause of the problem or not.

Any feedback would be gratefully received. My trial ends on April 24th or 25th.

Best regards

Ruth

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:58
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Took a look in my wizzard ball, but... Apr 21, 2010

it couldn't tell me what kind of formats do you try to process.
And it also did not tell me, what kind of error is reported for the file which could not be converted.
So please be so kind and and read the error - the number "1" means simply, that you have got one error. When you click the corresponding button to show the results of the task the system will tell you more. Please post those messages here.

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Error Apr 21, 2010

Hi Jerry

Thanks very much for your reply.

I did what you suggested and it says that there is an error reading my source document (ie the document in the source language which needs to be translated). This is a .doc file, so I'm assuming this is what's causing the problem.

However, I thought that SDL Trados Studio 2009 was able to handle any file type. If this is incorrect, what do I need to convert it to and how do I do this? I'm assuming there's a way even with the trial version??

Kind regards

Ruth

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Word file may be damaged/illegible for Studio Apr 21, 2010

Could you please try to open that particular Word file as a single document just for testing, if Studio can read it then?
In fact Studio cannot open *any* kind of file, but certanly it can open Word files down to Word 2000.
However, if your Word file has been stored by a PDF-converter, it is quite often a rtf file with just the extension "doc" - in that case Studio will expect a doc file, but find a rtf one and refuse to open it.
It will also certainly refuse to open Word files from Word 95 or 97.
What is also possible, that the structure of the Word file is damaged. In that case opening in Open Office or Word 2007 could help to repair. You can also open and repair the file.
But first please check if the file isn't rtf by a chance.

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Getting Started Apr 22, 2010

Hi Jerry

Thanks very much for your most helpful answer. I think you were right in that there was some problem with that Word document. Maybe it had been converted from a PDF. Anyway, I decided to try selecting a different Word document, and this time it worked straight away.

It's showing the project name at the top, but I'm not quite sure why the source document isn't appearing in the Editor pane. Shouldn't it automatically come up if the project has been created successfully?

If I click on Open Document it seems to take me through the same steps as I've just been through in order to create the project.

Sorry if this is a basic question. I think once I get started I'll be ok, but it's getting started that seems to be a bit of a problem.

Best regards

Ruth

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Have Got Started Now Apr 22, 2010

Hi Jerry

Please ignore my last message. I've managed to open the source document for translation now. It just took a few more steps than I was expecting.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Kind regards

Ruth

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do not use "Open document", when working with Projects Apr 22, 2010

In a nut shell: Studio is treating everything you do as a project.
So after having opened a singl file or created a project you have to go to "File view" and select the file to be opened for translation from there - right click it and chose "Open for translation".
Even if you opened a single document it will be treated as a project - first it opens in Editor view at once, but when you save the document as SDLXLIFF (bilingual) and will return to translation of this very document after having closed Studio you shall NOT open that document again, but (after having made sure in the Project view), that the current project is that document) go to File view and open it for translation from there.
This is a bit different from what we may be used from other software, but this is the way Studio works. When you get used to it - goes really very fast - you'll see no problem in it at all.
From my experience now I do not open even single documents using the "Open document" function, but create projects for EVERY SINGLE document I get - because I use project templates.

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Apr 23, 2010

Hi Jerry

Thanks very much for your answer. It helped me a lot as I wasn't sure how to get back into my document today. However, when I went to the File page (as you said) I was able to access my partially translated document.

One last question, is it possible to change the font and colour of the text in the target side of the document? For some reason, the wording in one of the cells has appeared in a larger font and I don't know how to change it. Also, I want to make some words appear in red and can't see a way of changing the font colour.

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes

Ruth

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Tool - Options - Editor - Font adaptation Apr 23, 2010

You can change the font Studio is using for showing you the document in Editor view. You can also switch all formatting off, if you wish.
However, when font differences between source and target appear, you most probably missed a tag.
You are working in an enrivonment, which does NOT show tags by default. And even if this may seem to be better at the first glance, you are missing a lot of information while not viewing tags. On Studio toolbars (or via Tools - Options - Editor) you can switch tag vewieing even in WYSIWYG-environment. Then you would also see, where the tags are and why the font is changing.

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank You Apr 25, 2010

Hi Jerzy (sorry, I've just realised that I've been mispelling your name)

Just a quick note to say thanks very much for all your help.

Enjoy your weekend!

Best wishes

Ruth

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
2 more ways to re-open a file Apr 25, 2010

Just a couple of ideas that might come in useful:
If you are working on a file, want to close Studio and then come back to the same file another time, instead of going to "projects" > "files" as Jerzy rightly says, you could go to "file" in the top tool bar > recent documents and select from the list that appears. (This works the same as an Office application).
Or, if you go to options>editor>startup, you can enable "automatically re-open previously edited documents". This will re-open what you were last working with, if you have left that file open and simply closed Studio itself.

Hope that helps!

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 25, 2010

Thanks a lot for the tips, Emma.

Best regards

Ruth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2009 - problem creating a project

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search