Is there a way to delete a TU during translation?
Thread poster: Bevan Mckechnie

Bevan Mckechnie
New Zealand
Local time: 10:52
Japanese to English
Apr 21, 2010

Hello again!

Sorry, I've been spamming the forum with questions recently, but hopefully this will be my last one:

There is a segment in my source document which is completely irrelevant for English speakers and I want to remove it entirely.

I tried the simplest option of leaving the target area blank, but as it is a bullet point in a list it leaves a blank bullet point!

Is there a way to tell trados to remove the entire segment and its formatting from the target text? Or do I have to go and manually edit it out of the final copy

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:52
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What version? Apr 22, 2010

What version of Trados do you mean?

Bevan Mckechnie
New Zealand
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
SDL trados studio 2009 trial version Apr 22, 2010

Sorry!

It's SDL trados studio 2009 trial version.

simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:52
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
post-edit it out Apr 23, 2010

As far as I am aware, once you've prepared your file for translation in Trados, there's not much you can do about it. Some CAT tools, such as MemoQ, will let you edit the source segment as well as the target, but still won't let you actually delete it. The rationale is understandable - to make sure you provide a translation that reproduces the source file. Either edit out stuff you don't want before importing into Trados, or edit it out afterwards. A bit annoying, but no big deal usually

Bevan Mckechnie
New Zealand
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
That's a shame, but thanks ... Apr 25, 2010

Thanks simon, it's a shame there isn't a proper way to do this through.

simon tanner wrote:

The rationale is understandable - to make sure you provide a translation that reproduces the source file.

(Before you read this, I just want you to know that I'm grateful for your input and I'm not flaming you I'm just stating my reasons for why I think there should be some wayto delete TUs in Trados:))

I'm translating from Japanese to English. The cultural difference is huge.

Some things that are considered common knowledge from a Japanese point of view are completely unheard of in the English speaking world - and vice versa.

This translation is going straight to the public as a product. The average Joe needs to use this document as if it was originally written in English - they don't want to have to deal with 'translator's notes,' etc.

So I think Trados needs to have the ability to add and remove TUs.

Sorry, my rant is over now!icon_biggrin.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to delete a TU during translation?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search