Problem saving Tag Editor file as word document
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite

Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 21:25
English to French
Apr 21, 2010

Hello,

I have a big problem..I just spend many hours translating a word file with TRADOS Tag Editor (version 7) English>French and I tried to Save it as a word containing only the target language (of course), but once I open the file I only have the source language!
It's as if I had translated for nothing.

I tried "Save as bilingual", and it works but it saves in .ttx format...and not as word format.

What should I do?

I can preview and see my translation alright in Tag Editor but I can't save it as word file...

I get error message 'Error while converting fields to Word document"..

I haven't inserted any special tags when translating (I don't know how to do it...)

If all else fails, can I do a copy paste of my translations, but then ow do I get rid of all the XML and Tag Editor symbols in Word???

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You have deleted a tag Apr 22, 2010

So verify your document, insert the missing tag (corresponding to a field in Word) and save then using File - Save target as.
BTW, this and many other errors have been reported and discussed here. The solution is also present in this forum. So why not using the search function first?

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
To Mr Czopik: Apr 22, 2010

Mr Czopik,

The source file in Tag Editor showed many formatting XML tags I had never seen before and when translating in Tag Editor I just translated the text and nothing else.

Until today I had no problem saving the final file, but as I saidnow I can't.
don't understand what you mean by "verify your document" or "insert the missing tag"...
I can't afford to copy paste the file in Word or open it in Word and having to manually remove all special tags to be left only with the translated (that I wish to have).

I have looked already on Proz forums and FAQ but I haven't found yet how to solve this specific problem...

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
in Tag Editor... Apr 22, 2010

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:

Mr Czopik,

The source file in Tag Editor showed many formatting XML tags I had never seen before and when translating in Tag Editor I just translated the text and nothing else.

don't understand what you mean by "verify your document" or "insert the missing tag"...
I can't afford to copy paste the file in Word or open it in Word and having to manually remove all special tags to be left only with the translated (that I wish to have).

I have looked already on Proz forums and FAQ but I haven't found yet how to solve this specific problem...

... press F8. The program will look through you ttx file (and source) to see if there´s any tags missing or incorrectly placed,

regards

smo

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
To make things clear: verify document Apr 22, 2010

and look for missing tags. Fortunately the Tag verifier is set by default, so it is indeed enough to press F8 to get the document verified.
But in case of any doubt: go to Tools, Plug-ins in Tageditor, make sure the "Generic Tag verifier" is chosen, and confirm this setting with ok.
Now press F8. You will get a list of errors in the bottom of your Tageditor window.
Double click the message and the program will take you to the place, where the error occurs. Correct the reported errors and your're done.

The error message you quoted says something else - you have deleted a tag.

Look at the error messages, some of them will report "a tag is missing" or "a tag has been addeed". This segments must be corrected. To do so, open the segment, insert missing tag(s) or delete superfluous tag(s).

As for the search function: search for "Error while converting fields to Word document" as exact phrase delivers 7 posts and your own on top. You can check please here: http://www.proz.com/topic/138605
http://www.proz.com/topic/138605
http://www.proz.com/topic/103232
These topics are from 2009 and 2008.

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Not working... Apr 22, 2010

Hello,

I read the forum posts about Tag Editor error "Error while converting fields to Word document" and I followed the instructions but I still don't get it...

I also ran the fuzzy translations and I have lots of missing tags...

But should I delete all tags from the source segments or insert the same tags into the target segments? Until today ,as I said, I still had the "missing tags" warning but I could save the target file as a word document..

My emergency solution is to copy paste from Tag Editor to Word and clean tags manually but this is going to take eons...

What about the bilingual file? How can I extract just the translated text from it?

I also tried to clean and analyse the file using Trados 7 workbench but it didn't change anything.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
if it is a word file ... Apr 22, 2010

why use tag editor? I guess it is a little late too ask...

Note however you have still the translation memory. Maybe you could make TM and the source understand each other, using the standard word translation mode.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you do not know what you are doing, then why do you do that? Apr 22, 2010

As you said, until know you have been happily messing up with tags and having a lot of luck, that it worked. But you did not pay any attention to which tags do you delete. Now you have a situation that you deleted a tag which is necessary to create the target file. Now you will have either to learn which tag is the missing field and insert just that one or insert all the tags you deleted.
For the future try to be more careful about tags - you may delet certain tags, but some of them may never be deleted. If you do not know which and why, you will either have to learn or to test - when you delete a tag, close the segment and try to save target. As long this is working you've on the safe side.

Hugh Matthews  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Very interesting ADHD block kicks in Aug 28, 2011

Hi
I have ADHD (attention deficit disorder - not an excuse, but an extremely anoying fact) and don't understand complex instructions or have the brain connections to sift though page after page of code.

Trados Tag Editor 2007 Freelance is telling me that it can't save to a Word target file due to an:

Error while converting to Word Document: end tag does not have a matching start tag.

This is not the case. If a tag _was_ missing I'd be prompted and I can't see a single out of place tag.

So I just need to strip out the code and get a Word file. The TM has saved all the language pairs.

I don't have a version of Word that works with 2007 Freelance.

How do I do this, please?

Please send a mail to hugh_matthews@ovi.com if you reply, because I quite seriously might never find this page again.

Thanks in advance

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Off: tracking forum Aug 28, 2011

Hi Hugh,

To track this forum, please tick the "All posts" field in the "Email tracking" box in the right part of the page, and you will get notifications about new posts in this thread. Posting your email address on the Internet is not a good idea, really.

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem saving Tag Editor file as word document

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search