Is official Trados Tech Support present at this forum?
Thread poster: Maxime Bujakov

Maxime Bujakov  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:25
French to English
+ ...
Apr 22, 2010

I have a few tech issues with my Trados 2007 (aka Trados 8) TagEditor. May I raise them here 'in public' before the official Trados tech support?

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
No, this is not an official tech support forum Apr 22, 2010

Hi Maxime,

Official tech support is available by taking out a Premium Software Maintenance Agreement (PSMA). You will find details of how to arrange this in your SDL account.

Let me tell you, from experience, that it is well worthwhile considering this. It also includes all new versions of the software, so that you actually approximately break even financially by having an ongoing PSMA agreement. I would advise you to look into it. I think you will not regret it.

Best regards,

Astrid

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl+Alt+PgUp instability of TradosTag Apr 22, 2010

Thank you! Actually, I meant to say: do Trados officials read this forum frequently?

The issue is terrible instability of TradosTag of build 8.2.0.835 (a regular Trados 8 version)
But as a former SW engineer I suspect this is a long-standing issue.

Here is what I do:
(1) - Use a TM that contains most of translation units for the given document except formatting
(2) - Press Alt+* (run to the next non-100% match) after opening the first translation unit (TU) and having the translation inserted from TM
(3) - ...trrrrr..... it translates untit after unit
(4) - Hit a segment with a trailing tag (a tag in the very last position of a source unit)
(5) - Press Ctrl+Alt+PgUp to shorten the TU by excluding this tag and achieving a 100% match with the TM
(6) - What is quite frequent at this point is that the TU text display would get corrupt by being displayed 'here and there' in TagEditor (some smeared pieces of text)
(7) - Pressing Alt+* would crash the TagEditor accompanied with various bad system error messages

* By the way, re (4) above, I find it outright silly that TagEditor adds trailing tags to TUs, especially when it's the only tag in a TU.

** If I mistakingly added an unmatched tag and try to save to the target MS Word, why don't you tell me the line number or the context of this unmatched tag, rather than just bluntly failing?

Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:25
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
How to purchase it, or even get a quote? Apr 22, 2010

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Let me tell you, from experience, that it is well worthwhile considering this. It also includes all new versions of the software, so that you actually approximately break even financially by having an ongoing PSMA agreement. I would advise you to look into it. I think you will not regret it.

Having upgraded to Studio recently and discovering I really do not like it and do not understand it I decided to enquire how much the support would actually be (before I make the decision to move on to other software). Sent an email from my SDL account profile as indicated in the instructions. That was three weeks ago. Since then no reply, nothing, nada. Amazing customer service they have. You actually want to pay for something that by all rights should come for free and they are not even interested.

Ines

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Window size... tag verification... Apr 22, 2010

Maxime Bujakov wrote:

Thank you! Actually, I meant to say: do Trados officials read this forum frequently?

Yes.
And sometimes answer.

The issue is terrible instability of TradosTag of build 8.2.0.835 (a regular Trados 8 version)

Generally the 8.3.0.863 version is more stable.
In fact, it's a service pack you must pay.
If you upgrade to T2009, you'll receive the T2007 SP3 (aka T2007 Suite) in the package.
IMO it's worth of it 'cause 8.3.0.863 will be a standard during many years for the translation offices which don't want to upgrade to T2009.
And of course, you'll have T2009, so you may take a look on it.

But as a former SW engineer I suspect this is a long-standing issue.

The SDL guys are not very quick to fix some bugs.
Especially the Multiterm ones icon_smile.gif

(...)

(6) - What is quite frequent at this point is that the TU text display would get corrupt by being displayed 'here and there' in TagEditor (some smeared pieces of text)

Some time ago (I don't remember exactly the versions) TE had serious problems with big screen resolutions.
Try to reduce the window size.

** If I mistakingly added an unmatched tag and try to save to the target MS Word, why don't you tell me the line number or the context of this unmatched tag, rather than just bluntly failing?

Tag Editor is simply a primitive environment with no decent error handling.
You should run the tag verification before you export.
Search the help for "Generic Tag Verifier".

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-04-22 09:56 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Contacting SDL Apr 22, 2010

Burrell wrote:

Sent an email from my SDL account profile as indicated in the instructions. That was three weeks ago. Since then no reply, nothing, nada. Amazing customer service they have. You actually want to pay for something that by all rights should come for free and they are not even interested.

Ines

Hi Ines,

I have mailed you through the ProZ account and can help make sure that your query is dealt with. Unfortunately this is not the first time that people have posted their experience and difficulties in reaching SDL, but to be fair on many of the occassions where I have followed up through this and other forums the problem often turns out to be spam filters and not that you are being ignored. Certainly we don't want to see posts like this and we work very hard in sales and support to try and ensure that all requests are handles efficiently.

However, I hope we can resolve your query in due course.

Regards

Paul

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could you also comment on the thread subject matter, please Apr 22, 2010

[quote]SDL Support wrote:

Burrell wrote:

Certainly we don't want to see posts like this and we work very hard in sales and support to try and ensure that all requests are handles efficiently.

However, I hope we can resolve your query in due course.

Regards

Paul

Dear Paul,

Thank you for reading this thread.

Could you also comment on the thread subject matter, please?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
On the original subject matter Apr 22, 2010

Maxime Bujakov wrote:
Dear Paul,
Thank you for reading this thread.
Could you also comment on the thread subject matter, please?

Dear Maxime,

I think Grzegorz was pretty close to the mark for your problem, and also that we do sometimes post in here too.

We think your issue was resolved by a hotfix for this version of SDL Trados 2007 so you might be able to resolve it without having to upgrade by applying the patch. This article lists all the hotfixes for SDL Trados 2007 SP2;

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2005&p=1

In here there are 7 fixes listed and this article linked in here looks like the one for you.

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1583&p=1

Give this a try and see if it resolves your issue. If not then your best bet would be to upgrade as Grzegorz suggested because we are unlikely to be providing any fixes for software this old anymore.

Regards

Paul

France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dear Paul, excellent, my problem is fixed with this patch! Apr 23, 2010

Dear Paul,

Thank you very much! And I really mean thisicon_smile.gif

Your message made a difference!

This naughty bug is fixed indeed.

If you need a few more suggestions to make Trados even better - don't hesitate to ask for my inputicon_smile.gif

CHeers,
Maxim

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is official Trados Tech Support present at this forum?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search