simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 01:06
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 22, 2010

Hi everyone,

I usually work in MemoQ, but my client has Trados, and I need to provide them with a bilingual file they can check using Trados. In MemoQ I exported my completed file in XLIFF format, which Trados can purportedly open.

However, when I try to open the file in Trados, it refuses to do so, and displays the following error message:
"Only languages from the 'it' language group are allowed'

Now, if the original file MemoQ file was an Italian-English translation, and if the languages I have activated for Trados also include Italian and English, what can be the problem?
Please don't tell me Trados fails to recognise generic Italian and English, but only specific variants (UK English, Swiss Italian etc). If so, how can I get round the problem?

Any help much appreciated. This is driving me mad!

Simon

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Language Codes Apr 22, 2010

Hi Simon,

Studio uses the full language cultures so the TM knows the "sublanguage" (rather: region) of the target language in order to apply correct auto-localization. Otherwise the auto-localization of date, time, and possibly numeric and measurement expressions will lead to incorrect results as the region's specific separators and date/time patterns are not observed.

There are however three ways to overcome this issue quite easily.

The first is to change the default source language in Studio to match the default language in the xliff. Go to Tools-Options-Editor-Languages and select one of the Italian variants. Then you will have no problem.

The second is to create a Project rather than opening the document directly. This will have the same effect as the first.

The third is to edit the xlf in memoQ like this (at least it worked for me);

source-language="it-IT"

That should cure it for you.

Regards

Paul

simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sorted! Apr 22, 2010

Thanks Paul,
tried the first option, which worked perfectly. Really appreciated the swift, helpful reply. Turned out to be simple enough, but don't know when or if I would have got there on my own!
Cheers,
Simon

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio - error opening XLIFF file created by MemoQ

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search