Trados 7.5 crashes on term search
Thread poster: Mindaugas Putelis

Mindaugas Putelis  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 21:30
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
Apr 22, 2010

My particular TM crashes on trying to search for a particular word combination that apparently are in that TM. I noticed it when I started translating and came upon the segment that I translated some time ago thus it already sits in my memory. On opening this segment I get the famous curly brackets before it in Word and Trados TM halts without any activity and without showing the translation that's in it for that segment.

I tried to copy the text from Word into another new Word document, but the problem persists. Every time my particular TM comes across the segment that it has in the memory, it stalls. The only way to translate the segment is to open it with other memory - then it's fine.

Investigating the problem I tried to search for a particular segment inside the TM and as soon as I hit Search the TM crashes. So basically I cannot benefit from fuzzies or full matches while working with this particular memory and it kind'a sucks.

One more thing I noticed that if I come across a full match that wasn't translated by me but simply sits in the memory from before, everything seems to work fine. Problems appear only when I translate the segment and afterwards meet that segment once again.

I've just tried to simulate the situation with the fresh memory, but it works fine and lets me translate full matches previously produced by me no problem.

So I believe there's a problem with that particular TM. I tried exporting it and importing once again, but it didn't help.

Thanks for any help.

[Edited at 2010-04-22 18:31 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:30
English to Dutch
+ ...
Remove the segment Apr 22, 2010

If you know what segment it is, open the exported TM in Notepad, remove it, and start a "new" TM by importing the corrected file. Make sure everything is well backed up, because you can lose an entire TM with these tricks. Trados never really was a very reliable application, just keep that in mind, whatever you do.

HTH

- Rien

Lithuania
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
TOPIC STARTER
There are many corrupted segments and they seem to replicate Apr 22, 2010

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

If you know what segment it is, open the exported TM in Notepad, remove it, and start a "new" TM by importing the corrected file. Make sure everything is well backed up, because you can lose an entire TM with these tricks. Trados never really was a very reliable application, just keep that in mind, whatever you do.

HTH

- Rien

Thanks for your reply.
I used to do that some time ago when there were small problems with some words, it looked like it helped, but in this particular case TM crashes on, let's say, searching for a word "shiny". There are dozens of matches if I look in the TM exported txt file, and I do not know which one of them makes TM crash. Maybe the first one? Maybe. But the problem is recurring with many segments that I produce and keeps getting back to me.
I need some kind of a cure to TM, some fix or so. It's like rotten from the inside and keeps degrading while I translate.

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Arial MS Unicode font installed? Apr 22, 2010

Hi, Mindaugas,

Do you have the Arial Unicode MS font installed? If not, you might want to install it. It's part of the Microsoft Office installation but it is not installed by default.

In the past, I found that installing the font solves the problem of crashes when searching for specific segments.

Keep in mind that the font "Arial Unicode MS" is not the same as "Arial" (which you probably have), it's a different font.

In our environment, the issue was caused by some special Unicode characters could only be displayed with that font.

Daniel

Lithuania
Member (2009)
English to Lithuanian
TOPIC STARTER
That was unexpected ... Apr 23, 2010

Daniel García wrote:

Hi, Mindaugas,

Do you have the Arial Unicode MS font installed? If not, you might want to install it. It's part of the Microsoft Office installation but it is not installed by default.

In the past, I found that installing the font solves the problem of crashes when searching for specific segments.

Keep in mind that the font "Arial Unicode MS" is not the same as "Arial" (which you probably have), it's a different font.

In our environment, the issue was caused by some special Unicode characters could only be displayed with that font.

Daniel

Thanks, Daniel, very much for the tip. It really was unexpected, but Trados started working like a charm. Not only Trados, but I don't experience any problems with Firefox anymore. Firefox used to just disappear from the screen when apparently came across some symbols that my system was unable to present due to Arial Unicode missing.
Thanks once again, the tip's bullseye. Have a good weekend!

IsaC  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:30
English to French
+ ...
GREAT! May 10, 2010

Thanks a million for the tip! It worked! I'd been having the same problem on ALL my TMs witht he word 'Submit" !... which led me to think that the problem had nothing to do with the content of the TM...

I installed the Arial Unicode MS... and the problem was gone!

Merci!

[Edited at 2010-05-10 09:09 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7.5 crashes on term search

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search