Dreamweaver or Trados
Thread poster: ronniead

ronniead
Israel
Local time: 13:30
English to French
Apr 23, 2010

Hi,

We are looking at translating our website. We have found two different people to translate for us. One is proficient in HTML and dreameaver, the other in Trados.

I've noticed with Trados when working with HTML files it imports variables to translate as well in javascript etc. This could cause things to break...I could mark certain tags which shouldn't be translated...but I have yet to find an easy way.

Would love to hear some suggestions...

Cheers,

Ronnie

Direct link Reply with quote Turn social sharing on.
Like 18

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:30
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Trados (or similar) Apr 23, 2010

The easy way is to use Trados, and in particular TagEditor (not Workbench). This will protect all the HTML tags and allow you to translate only the text.
Other CAT tools provide similar options. DreamWeaver does not - it is not designed for this purpose.

Like 10

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 12:30
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Have a look at OmegaT ... Apr 23, 2010

ronniead wrote:

Would love to hear some suggestions...

... opensource software with a discussion and suport corner here and on yahoo.

In your case you probably have loads of html, css, properties, dtd files to localize in a widely and deeply branched tree. OmegaT would do fine without much fuss. Check it at www.omegat.org.

regards

smo

Like 18

Jan Neersoe  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
Modify the Trados DTD Apr 23, 2010

FYI, you can create a modified DTD in Trados (based on the standard HTML DTD) that will mark JavaScript tags as untranslatable. That way, any JS content will automatically be greyed out once the HTML file is opened in Trados TagEditor using that setting.

Like 5

madak  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:30
Swedish to English
+ ...
Focus on content, not tools Apr 23, 2010

That is if you want an interesting and selling website. Personally, I would never choose between translators depending on the tools they use/are able to use.

Please note: As I do not work with Trados, I have no idea whether or not this tool makes a mess of JavaScript.

I'm guessing here, but I assume that you don't work for a translation agency which might need, or rather want, to keep gigantic translation memories. So unless this is content that needs to be constantly updated, a CAT/TEnT such as Trados is really not called for.

In my in-house position, I work in Dreamweaver, or even in Notepad, or directly in the company's proprietary CMS tool. As a freelancer, I usually work with a CAT/TEnT, my preferred option being MemoQ.

Regardless of the tools I use, I deliver the same high quality content.

There are of course issues such as consistency which might make the use of a CAT/TEnT preferable, but I would never outsource to a translator depending on the tool/s he or she is able to use. As long as I have both the original and the translation, I can easily convert this into whichever format I prefer.

But if I receive a pig's ear of content, no tool, however advanced, will turn it into a silk purse.

Like 7

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try making a list of pros and cons Apr 24, 2010

You make a list of pros and cons and each of the two translators will be able to help you on this.

For me, the choice is clear: to create a web page, use DreamWeaver; to translate it, use a computer-assisted translation (CAT) tool.

A CAT tool (Trados or another) has some clear advantages:

- Tags are marked and protected (the translators does not have to waste time telling appart what is translatable and what is not translatable).

- With a CAT tool, the translator has some specific facilities like spell-checking in their language (I don't know if DreamWeaver has a spellchecing function for all languages).

- Updates are more easily managed with a CAT tool because the translator will be able to see what has changed and translate only the new and changed parts. I don't know if DreamWeaver has function to compare old and new texts so that you only translate new parts.

- Thinking in the future, you might want to have a workflow which is suitable for other translators. If you have to select new translators, I think you will find more translators who can use CAT tools than translators who can use DreamWeaver.

I think most translators will be more efficient with a CAT tool than with DreamWeaver or Notepad.

Daniel

Like 14

simon tanner  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
quality should guide your choice Apr 24, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

...if you want an interesting and selling website. Personally, I would never choose between translators depending on the tools they use/are able to use.

... if I receive a pig's ear of content, no tool, however advanced, will turn it into a silk purse.

Couldn't agree more. By focusing on software you risk missing the point, Ronnie

Like 18

ronniead
Israel
Local time: 13:30
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Where is TagEditor Apr 25, 2010

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Fantastic...

Where is the TagEditor? I have Trados 2009 SP2, and MultiTerm Desktop...I looked in the help and I couldn't see anything about the program called TagEditor...

Ronnie

Peter Linton wrote:

The easy way is to use Trados, and in particular TagEditor (not Workbench). This will protect all the HTML tags and allow you to translate only the text.
Other CAT tools provide similar options. DreamWeaver does not - it is not designed for this purpose.

Like 18

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dreamweaver or Trados

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search