Add language to Trados not in source language list
Thread poster: Anette Herbert

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
English to Swedish
+ ...
Dec 2, 2003

Dear all,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to add an additional language in Trados workbench to create a new language memory which was not included in the source language list at installation?
Do I have to re-install Trados to add another language?

Trados 5.5 Freelance, WIndows XP.

Anette Usterud

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:58
English to German
+ ...
Modify Installation Dec 3, 2003

Hi Anette,
As you're probably aware, one of the restrictions the Freelance version is subject to (as opposed to LSP or TM) is a limited number of working languages.

Given that these languages are set when installing the software, you will have to go that route. I use the LSP version, so I can't really give you specific advice here, but according to the Getting Started guide you should be able to modify the installation rather than having to completely un-/reinstall.

Don't forget to add any patches/hotfixes after modifying the installation.

HTH, Ralf

Anette Herbert  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:58
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Using another name Dec 4, 2003

Thank you Ralph for clarifying, I was just thinking to avoid re-installing, I must be able to use one of the 8 or so varieties of English which I will never use or does Trados "know" if it is English or Norwegian (which is what I want)?

Anette

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Anette,
As you're probably aware, one of the restrictions the Freelance version is subject to (as opposed to LSP or TM) is a limited number of working languages.

Given that these languages are set when installing the software, you will have to go that route. I use the LSP version, so I can't really give you specific advice here, but according to the Getting Started guide you should be able to modify the installation rather than having to completely un-/reinstall.

Don't forget to add any patches/hotfixes after modifying the installation.

HTH, Ralf

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Dangerous strategy Dec 7, 2003

Hi Anette
I was just thinking to avoid re-installing, I must be able to use one of the 8 or so varieties of English which I will never use or does Trados "know" if it is English or Norwegian (which is what I want)?

The software does not actually recognise the language used in translation. But the real question is whether you're going to remember what you selected the next time around...

Did you not use the full five languages available when you installed Trados?

Best, Ralf

Sonia Gouin  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:58
English to French
I am having the same problem with Trados 2007 Feb 18, 2009

I am reviewing a document that was translated from German into French. I had not installed German as a source language at the time of installation. I am therefore unable to use the client's TM. Is there a way I can add the German to French pair without reinstalling?

Thank you.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No way Feb 18, 2009

You will have to reinstall.
However, the reinstallation will only take some time, nothing will be lost.

Guerlin Mompoint Jeune  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:58
English to Haitian-Creole
+ ...
Adding Haitian Creole in the language list Oct 21, 2012

I want to add "Haitian Creole" in the language list for Trados 2011.
I can't find any possible way to do so.
Can you help me?
Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add language to Trados not in source language list

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search