Can Trados 2007 work with multiple MT 8 termbases at the same time?
Thread poster: aasimar
Apr 24, 2010

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding Trados 2007 and Multiterm 2009 compatibility: Does Trados 2007 actually work with multiple termbases created in Multiterm 2009? Let me explain:

A client recently sent me a termbase that had been created with Multiterm 7, and after I upgraded it to Multiterm 2009, term recognition worked wonderfully in Trados 2007. It was a really huge termbase, and I had heard of people having problems with term recognition in MT 7, but the term recognition function was finding literally every word on the termbase. Those were the good news.

The bad news, on the other hand, is that I can't get the term recognition function to work with more than one termbase in Trados 2007. I am creating them from Excel spreadsheets with MT 2009, and they work great in Studio 2009. But when I try using them in Trados 2007, term recognition finds the words, but doesn't give the target term, for any non-default termbases. For example:

Let's say I have the following:

Two termbases located in E:\Work, one called "crazy" and another one called "you" (i.e., E:\Work\crazy.sdltb and E:\Work\you.sdltb). Each one has one single (obvious) entry. They have the French translations for the English words.

and

A sentence that says "You are crazy."

and

the "crazy" termbase is the default termbase.

You would expect the term recognition function to show the following:

you E:\Work\you.sdltb
tu

crazy E:\Work\crazy.sdltb
fou

Instead, it shows the following:

you E:\Work\you.sdltb

crazy E:\Work\crazy.sdltb
fou

In other words, it finds source words in non-default termbases, but it doesn't provide the translation! Is this an oversight in terms of functionality or is there actually a fix for this? Has anyone else run into this problem? Here are a couple of additional details:

- I already tried reorganizing the termbases and using the export/import procedure described in: http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/kb/article.aspx?aid=2071&n=1&s=1. Didn't work.

- If I make the other termbase the "default" termbase, the behavior will switch accordingly. Using the above example, for instance, it will give me the target term for "you," but not the target term for "crazy."

[Edited at 2010-04-24 12:33 GMT]

aasimar
TOPIC STARTER
Anyone? Apr 25, 2010

anyone out there?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Trados 2007 work with multiple MT 8 termbases at the same time?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search