https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/163607-problems_installing_trados_with_windows_7.html

Problems installing Trados with Windows 7
Thread poster: Annie Doran
Annie Doran
Annie Doran  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:33
English to French
Apr 26, 2010

Hello, I just bought a new laptop with windows 7 (had vista before), I returned the license of Trados from my old computer and now I am trying to install Trados 7 on my new laptop. However, even after downloading the file many times from my account on the Trados website, I always get the following error message:
"The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its integrity, and try a
... See more
Hello, I just bought a new laptop with windows 7 (had vista before), I returned the license of Trados from my old computer and now I am trying to install Trados 7 on my new laptop. However, even after downloading the file many times from my account on the Trados website, I always get the following error message:
"The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its integrity, and try again."

I am also having problems installing my Acrobat Adobe. Is there something not compatible with Windows 7 or should I activate or desactivate some options in WIndows?

Thanks for your help!!
Collapse

Jan Kolesar
Jan Kolesar  Identity Verified
Slovakia
Local time: 22:33
English to Slovak
+ ...
Looks like wrong Windows 7 installation, or faulty HW. Apr 26, 2010

I installed Trados with Windows 7 last night with no problems. Acrobat installation only confirms the above problem.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
My colleague Apr 26, 2010

has just bought a new laptop with W7 specifically for translation work and we can't get the Oxford Superlex dictionary to install, apparently there is no compatible version available yet. Adobe doesn't seem to work with it either.
My feeling is that Microsoft are all style over substance, rushing out shiny new products that look slick but are in fact pretty useless. Apart from the nice graphics, it seems to be mostly a letdown.
MS Office 2007 is also a big disappointment, so I'll be
... See more
has just bought a new laptop with W7 specifically for translation work and we can't get the Oxford Superlex dictionary to install, apparently there is no compatible version available yet. Adobe doesn't seem to work with it either.
My feeling is that Microsoft are all style over substance, rushing out shiny new products that look slick but are in fact pretty useless. Apart from the nice graphics, it seems to be mostly a letdown.
MS Office 2007 is also a big disappointment, so I'll be sticking with the 2003 version for as long as it holds out...
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A few ideas Apr 26, 2010

Hi Annie,
here are a few ideas that you might find useful:

1. Post your question in the SDL Trados forum: you might get more answers.

2. Try to run the EXE installer as Administrator.

3. Try to use a download manager to download the installer. It may have gone corrupted during the download.

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:33
English to German
ask a moderator or staff... Apr 26, 2010

...(the latter by support request) to move this thread to the SDL Trados Support forum

Maria Rodriguez Palma
Maria Rodriguez Palma
Austria
Member (2009)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Did you find any solution? Jun 3, 2010

Hi Annie
I'm also experiencing problems with the Studio.... and the Support doesn't answer my requests
It' so frustrating!

Sarah Bouachacha
Sarah Bouachacha  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Just upgrade for Trados 2009 that the sole solution owing SDL support Jun 4, 2010

Annie Doran wrote:

"The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its integrity, and try again."

I am also having problems installing my Acrobat Adobe. Is there something not compatible with Windows 7 or should I activate or desactivate some options in WIndows?

Thanks for your help!!

Hi Annie !
I do not often have a look here but three weeks ago, I had the same bad experience; I bought a new Laptop with Windows 7 and tried to install Trados 2007 it did not work at all since then each time I start my machine I get the same error message.
So I tried to get support and I have been said to update Trados 2007 what I refused first because I was not interested in; all what I wanted was only to return the licence from the old laptop that works with vista in order to install it on the new one, which works with windows 7.

But It was so frustruating and time consumming I tried desapararetly to get solution on the web in vain and finally, I gave up and since the 31th I updated trados, even I was aware that the suggestion by SDL was a marketing-oriented one.
So do not do the same mistake, ask microsoft to or just run the previous Windows versions I met rarely problem under XP.
concerning Adobe I supposed you have to check on the webside if there is an update or contact the support because I met also a compatibility problem with my printer exactly like with trados, meanwhile I solve the problem by downloading a new software driver.

[Modifié le 2010-06-04 07:27 GMT]

Maria Rodriguez Palma
Maria Rodriguez Palma
Austria
Member (2009)
German to Spanish
+ ...
the solution that worked for me Jun 10, 2010

Finally the support team contacted me (Thank you Marina) and suggested me this solution:

Close Studio, then rename the following foders to [originalfoldername]_old:

1. Under Libraries\Documents\My Documents rename the folder "SDL Trados Studio" to "SDL Trados Studio_old"

2. Under C:\ProgramData rename the "SDL" folder to "SDL_old".

3. Under C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\ rename the SDL folder to SDL_old.

Then restart Studio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems installing Trados with Windows 7

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »