Opening a PDF file in Trados
Thread poster: aparramoure

aparramoure
Local time: 22:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 26, 2010

I keep getting an error. Can someone instruct me how to open a PDF file?
Thanks in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 05:59
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Basically, you can´t Apr 26, 2010

PDF files cannot be opened in most versions of Trados.

In fact PDF files are not intended for direct editing at all. If you have one of the ´bigger´ programmes like Acrobat, you can mark the text in various ways, and you can extract a text as RTF or Word, and then you may be able to work on it with Trados Workbench or Tageditor, but you are likely to have trouble with formatting.

Ask your client for a file in a different format, or else you will have to translate it without Trados.

I am moving your post to a more technical forum, as it does not really belong under proofreading and reviewing.

Best wishes
Christine Andersen
Moderator for the Proofreading/Editing/Reviewing forum.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
PDFs are always a pain Apr 26, 2010

Hello,
well, you have provided too little information to begin with (no info on version or the error message...), but I'll try hard:

1. The right place for your question would be the SDL Trados forum.

2. Assuming you are using Trados 2007 or earlier: the PDF file has to be OCRed first (OCR = Optical Character Recognition), converted into e.g. MS Word and then translated with Workbench either in Word or in TagEditor.

3. Assuming you are using Studio 2009: Studio can only open PDFs with a text layer, i.e. PDFs that were exported from other applications such as Word or InDesign. Studio includes an OCR module that separates text from other content, opens the file and then saves it as a DOC.
If, however, you want to translate PDFs with no text layer (i.e. scanned images), Studio will keep throwing an error.

As regards any future posts, I strongly encourage you to:
1. use the correct forum – you may get more answers;
2. post as many details as possible – you may get more relevant answers and suggestions.

aparramoure
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PDF convert to Word not opening in Trados Apr 27, 2010

Well, I tried again, I took a PDF file, converted it to a Word file, tried to open in Trados and got this error message: "ERROR WHEN PRE-TWEAKING FILE: EXCEPTION HAS BEEN THROWN BY THE TARGET OF AN INVOCATION"

Any ideas?

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Did you open the Word file? Apr 27, 2010

This error message usually occurs when opening an image PDF in Studio. Are you sure you tried to open the converted DOC?

aparramoure
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Converted PDF to Word file Apr 28, 2010

Would not open either one,, tried several converted files,, same problem, others would open. I had one file sitting in Trados, but only 2 lines on the workbench,, could not do anything in the segments?

Confusing.

What do you do when you have a diploma to translate? How do you keep the format? Do you use Acrobat? (which is another problem in and of itself.)

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Confusing Apr 28, 2010

Would not open either one,, tried several converted files,, same problem, others would open. I had one file sitting in Trados, but only 2 lines on the workbench,, could not do anything in the segments?

Confusing.

You still haven't provided us with any information on the software version you use. Do you open the DOC in Studio, in TagEditor or anywhere else? Why are you talking about Workbench?

Could you, PLEASE, write full sentences and provide at least a little more information?

[Upraveno: 2010-04-28 14:05 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening a PDF file in Trados

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search