Checking translation
Thread poster: aparramoure

aparramoure
Local time: 14:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 27, 2010

1st Thanks for guiding me to this forum.. (I didn't go far enough down the list)
I am trying out Trados and am having fun learning. I found the translation memories that can be used such as SDL, Google, and others.. and you just click on the target line and "automatically" you have a translation. If you have clicked on 2 MT's , one is placed in the line and both are shown in the upper plane of the screen. Assuming it is your choice. I am wondering how do you check the translation. I find a place you can choose to check spelling ect.. I am wondering if there is a way to verify or confirming the translation?

When I began working with the program, I opened the sample.. and there was a column that had a percentage in it.. I am assuming that the percentage was the percentage of correctness.

I have the "quick start guide" but am having finding some answers.. Also, having trouble getting info from ProZ and SDL, finally I received this forum area as a link in an email.

Another question before I purchase a software, which do I buy? Studio SP2. the Starter software?

Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:00
English to Czech
+ ...
TM vs. Machine Apr 27, 2010

Hi,
first things first: don't confuse translation memories (TMs) with machine translation (MT) provided by the SDL Translation Server, Google, Language Weaver etc.

What you did was to define machine translation providers: in that case, the middle column in the Editor View will say AT (automated translation) and will not provide any information on the match percentage. That will only be the case if you define a translation memory to translate the document with. Since a TM is a linguistic database, you have to create one first before you can use it.

The percentage does not refer to the level of correctness of a particular translation, but rather to the match of the source segment with one already stored in the translation memory.

You can edit the translation in the right-hand column and confirm it with CTRL+ALT+ENTER (keyboard shortcuts are fully customizable).

As regards Studio versions:
1. The Starter edition uses a time-limited subscription scheme and some of the functions and features of the Freelance and Professional versions may be limited or not available.

2. The Freelance version is not limited by time, but only by the number of working languages (up to five) and by the inability to create project packages that can be sent out to external translators. Note that if you want to generate AutoSuggest dictionaries from your TMs, you will need to purchase the AutoSuggest Creator license separately.

3. The Professional version (either activation code, or floating license) is not limited in any way and is intended mainly for LSPs.

I hope this helps a little.

[Upraveno: 2010-04-27 09:57 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Checking translation

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search