Thread poster: Lida Garcia

Lida Garcia  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 23:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 28, 2010

Hello everyone,

I am working on a large technical file with TagEditor. Everything is fine until I have to save the target file (for delivery to the customer). I am working with MS Office 2003, Trados 7. I tried the solutions I found on the fora without success. What am I doing wrong? I get several messages: Error converting the file, Microsoft Office cannot open the file because of track changes not accepted (or something like that), or sometimes TagEditor just crashes.
My delivery is tomorrow and I am quite worried.

Regards,

Lida

HelenC
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:08
German to English
try re-translating or have someone else clean it Apr 28, 2010

Hi Lida,

I am not sure what other solutions you have tried, but I think I have had similar error messages in the past. Sometimes Trados just does these things inexplicably, I find!
Was the original text a Word file? Have you tried accepting all the changes in that, turning off Track changes and then letting Trados pre-translate the file again?
On one occasion, I kept getting different error messages and I returned the uncleaned file to the client (who also uses Trados...or you could try another translator), who was able to clean the file at her end. Neither of us found out why she could do this and I couldn't.
Try this, and if it doesn't work, maybe someone else will have a better, more technical solutionicon_wink.gif

Peru
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HELP: I can save target file with TagEditor Apr 28, 2010

Hi Helen,

What do you mean re-translating? This is a large file (about 30000 words)...
I have tried converting the file to RTF, or Word 2007, turning off the Track Changes, everything...
I will try to send the file to another translation. Thank you.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:08
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
try saving before you start translating ... Apr 28, 2010

... then you will know whether the problem lies with the source file or your translation.

Open the original doc in TagEditor and then "save as target". If it won't do it before you have entered anything new, then the problem is with the source. (Try repair doc in Word).

If it does save to target OK, then use your TM to translate it as Helen suggests and see if that works.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
re-translating = make the created TM translate it Apr 28, 2010

Hello Lida,

re-translating means in the context simply to import the original file once more into TE and let your TM translate it for you (I'd use Translate directly from TWB after having created the ttx file).

I am surprised you managed to import the file with track changes on the first time, as TE normally refuses to even get started with it.

I'd first open the original MSWord file, make sure that all changes are accepted (tick on the correspondent item in MSWord) & track changes turned off, save the file and close it & MSWord (making sure Winword.exe is not running at all - checking via Task Manager) before re-opening TagEditor and importing the saved file with track changes off.

Turning off the track changes after having imported the file into TE won't change a bit for TE, but (in my experience) only generate further error messages.

Giuliana

Peru
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: try saving before you start translating Apr 28, 2010

Hi Emma,

I can save the TagEditor file without problems, the problem is when I try to save the target file (ie, my translation into Spanish). I can save the bilingual file without problems, my problem is when try to save as target.

Regards,

Lida

Peru
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
re: re-translating = make the created TM translate it Apr 28, 2010

Hi Giuliana,

No, I didn't work with track changes on. I accepted all the changes, and reviewed page by page to see if change was accepted.
I have finished my translation on TagEditor and wants to save the file as target. When trying to do this, I get several error messages and the file remains in English (my translation is into Spanish).

Regards,

Lida

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Did you change anything after the import? Apr 28, 2010

hello Lida,

the point is whether you changed something in the file you had used for the import into TE or not *after* having imported it into TE. If you did, that's where the problem is.

And importing the file once more into TE and translate the newly created TTX file using Translate in TWB could do the trick.

I didn't mean that you worked with track changes on. I said I was surprised that TE did import the file with track changes on / changes non-accepted (clients do send sometimes files with track changes still on). It doesn't normally import files, if track changes is on or some changes haven't been accepted (some formatting changes might not be visible, that's why it's better to accept all changes before saving & closing the file)

Giuliana

GeoS
Local time: 07:08
Greek to English
+ ...
Just a thought... Apr 29, 2010

Hi,
I know it might sound silly but it worked for me.

I saved bil. file, copied it (along with source) to a new folder and cleanedup using TWB. And it worked. Then in my clean file I found the source of the problem, (bad formatting options) that were incorporated in my source file...

Hope it works for you.

[Edited at 2010-04-29 07:49 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
what error messages? Apr 29, 2010

Lida Garcia wrote:

Hi Giuliana,

No, I didn't work with track changes on. I accepted all the changes, and reviewed page by page to see if change was accepted.
I have finished my translation on TagEditor and wants to save the file as target. When trying to do this, I get several error messages and the file remains in English (my translation is into Spanish).

Regards,

Lida

you need to list them, one by one, otherwise nobody will be able to help you...

HelenC
United Kingdom
German to English
Footnotes? Apr 29, 2010

Hi Lida,

sorry, for not getting back to you again yesterday, but i see some others have answered your question about re-translating. You can alter the settings in Trados to ensure that only the translation units relating to this project are added to the re-translation from your memory (field settings for the project or date settings from when you started the project).

Another thing I have thought of, however, is footnotes. I also encounted the problems you are having when there were footnotes in the file. If this is the case in your document, you could try deleting them and see if that makes any difference and then translate these in a separate file, or add them back into the cleaned document.

Helen

Lorenzo Cordini
English
Re-translate the Word file Apr 29, 2010

Hi Lida,

since you are tight with time, the best solution seems to be re-translating the document as other people here have suggested.
I would not re-translate using TagEditor (you may run into the same problem again).
I would create a new empty TM and fill it only with the content of your bilingual TTX and then use that TM to translate the original Word file which then you can clean up without having to go through TagEditor and the problems that can possibly be connected to it.

Lorenzo

[Edited at 2010-04-29 13:47 GMT]

Peru
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 29, 2010

Thank you for your help, and your advicesicon_eek.gif)
Finally I re-translated the Word file, sent the TagEditor file, the clean Word File and the exported memory to the agency. No complaints so faricon_eek.gif)

Regards,

Lida

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP: I can save target file with TagEditor

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search