XLIFF FILE - Empty strings? Or maybe not.
Thread poster: Daniel Pestana

Daniel Pestana  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:15
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 28, 2010

Hi. I know this is an old thread, but I just translated some XLIFF files in SDLX and everything went well. I verified everything and the strings were all there, plus translated. I even sent the files to a different computer by email to see if there were any changes. However, after I sent the same files to the client, they said the strings were not translated and were empty. Now, what happened? I don't understand what went wrong. And the funny thing is that I have the translated files in my computer and everything looks fine. How can that be? If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Another detail was, the source files were XLIFF but were on DOC format.

Thank you.
Best,
Daniel


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:15
English to Czech
+ ...
Translation and tags Apr 29, 2010

Hi Daniel,
allow me one basic question: what tags is your translation enclosed in? I am asking this question, since XLIFF files can be a little problematic. The structure of an XLIFF file often is as follows:

<source_language>This content has to be translated.</source_language>
<target_language> </target_language>

Now it is obvious that your translation has to go between the <target_language> and </target_language> tags, but it usually goes between the <source_language> and </source_language> tags.

If, for instance, your client had generated the XLIFF from e.g. a CMS system and you translated the content between the <source_language> and </source_language> tags, the client can't see the translated content, because the <target_language> and </target_language> tags are empty.

May this be your case?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

PMz
XLIFF Apr 29, 2010

Daniel Pestana wrote:

Hi. I know this is an old thread, but I just translated some XLIFF files in SDLX and everything went well. I verified everything and the strings were all there, plus translated. I even sent the files to a different computer by email to see if there were any changes. However, after I sent the same files to the client, they said the strings were not translated and were empty. Now, what happened? I don't understand what went wrong. And the funny thing is that I have the translated files in my computer and everything looks fine. How can that be? If anyone can help I'd appreciate it. Another detail was, the source files were XLIFF but were on DOC format.

Thank you.
Best,
Daniel


Hi,
not every file which is supposed to be XLIFF is real XLIFF. I personally saw just few valid XLIFF files:-)
Can you maybe try to open the file in Trados Studio 2009 - the XLIFF filter there is much better then in SDLX.
If this doesn't help/cannot be used share the XLIFF with us so we can have a look if it's valid XLIFF in first place.

Regards


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Daniel Pestana  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:15
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XLIFF - Thank you Apr 29, 2010

First of all, thank you Stanislav and PMz for taking the time to help me understand this problem. Below is an example of the XLIFF source and XLIFF target taken from the files:

XLIFF source:

Example
Example
Example

XLIFF target:

Example
Example
Exemplo

I hope this helps unsolving this misteryicon_smile.gif

Thank you very much.


[Editada em 2010-04-29 13:25 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

PMz
Not standard XLIFF Apr 30, 2010

Daniel Pestana wrote:

First of all, thank you Stanislav and PMz for taking the time to help me understand this problem. Below is an example of the XLIFF source and XLIFF target taken from the files:

XLIFF source:

Example
Example
Example

XLIFF target:

Example
Example
Exemplo

I hope this helps unsolving this misteryicon_smile.gif

Thank you very much.


[Editada em 2010-04-29 13:25 GMT]


HI,
as far as I can see this is definitely not standard XLIFF but rather XLIFF with custom extensions on every single element. I doubt that you can translate it as XLIFF - at least not in Studio or in TagEditor (I don't know SDLX too good).
BTW - I saw quite a lot of XLIFF files but never something like this:-)
What may be an option is to try some of the tools in Okapi Framework and test it you can convert to some translatable format.

Regards


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XLIFF FILE - Empty strings? Or maybe not.

Advanced search







SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search