Adam Bojan  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:38
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
Apr 29, 2010

Hello,
A simple technical question:
After a lot of searching I've been able to find a way of adding a term from Editor to (opened) MT2009 only using keyboard shortcuts. However, it takes an absurd number of keystrokes. Having selected a term pair (source+target), I have to use, let me count, 8 (sic!) key combinations (F12 being the 5th one) to come back to editing.
Is it possible to do it with fewer number of keystrokes, without touching the mouse, of course?
I hate using the mouse and try to use a shortcut for every action, but Studio seems to rely heavily on clicking. I encountered many other situations in Studio where I couldn't escape without leaving my keyboard, but this one with MT is just terrible. 8 key combinations! In Sdlx I did/still do it with 3 quick strokes and it takes about 1-2 sec. In Studio it takes at least 10 and sometimes 20 sec, because the MT seems to fall asleep if you don't use it and then opens very slowly, besides, if I press my combinations too quickly a script error occurs (error in the script on this page). This is one of the main drawback of Studio for me and will be, if I don't solve it, the reason to change my #1 CAT.
greetings

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
French to Polish
+ ...
Custom Add Term shortcut... AutoHotkey... May 1, 2010

Adam Bojan wrote:

After a lot of searching I've been able to find a way of adding a term from Editor to (opened) MT2009 only using keyboard shortcuts. However, it takes an absurd number of keystrokes. Having selected a term pair (source+target), I have to use, let me count, 8 (sic!) key combinations (F12 being the 5th one) to come back to editing.

Multiterm was never intended to be user friendly.
IMO it was designed to enforce the compliance with the predefined terminology and not to help the translator to create glossaries on the fly.

Is it possible to do it with fewer number of keystrokes, without touching the mouse, of course?

IMO you should define your own shortcut for the term add function in the editor, e.g. Alt+F12, it permits to submit the terms more quickly to the form invoked directly in Studio (unless you really need to work directly in Multiterm).

So, e.g. you have:
- target selection,
- F6 (toggle source/target focus in the editor)
- source selection,
- Alt+F12
And here, I surrend and I click once to save (F12) and the second time in order to put the cursor somewhere in the target pane.
It make no sense to fight against the Multiterm stupidity.
As Multiterm is invoked as a separate application, too much focus problems.

In Sdlx I did/still do it with 3 quick strokes and it takes about 1-2 sec. In Studio it takes at least 10 and sometimes 20 sec, because the MT seems to fall asleep if you don't use it and then opens very slowly,

It was faster in the legacy Trados too IMO.
Probably because it was handled rather by Trados than by Multiterm.
In T2009, Multiterm is invoked in a more direct way, so we have more problems

besides, if I press my combinations too quickly a script error occurs (error in the script on this page).

The Multiterm programmers are not gurus in Java, nothing strange.

PS.
As it's no good solution within Studio, you may use AutoHotkey in order to automate some frequent key sequences using custom shortcuts.
So, if you want to avoid script errors, you should insert wait states.

Cheers
GG

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio&Multiterm: adding a term with keyboard only

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search