Thread poster: Evangelion

Evangelion  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:12
Polish to English
+ ...
Apr 29, 2010

Hi!

I have received an XLS spreadsheet for translation, the delivery format is both .xls and .ttx. The thing is, that out of about 10 columns, only one needs to be translated. The question now is - can I block the other columns somehow in TagEditor or MSExcel so that when I load the spreadsheet into TagEditor and then use the alt+* combination, I only open the cells just from the one column I need to translate? In MSWord, when I needed to do a similar operation, I used the style "tw4winExternal", but AFAIK there are no styles in MSExcel.

Much obliged for any help ;]

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Hi, Apr 29, 2010

I think you should hide the columns (in Excel) which are not to be translated and translate the spreadsheet with TE, or save the single column to be translated, translate it with TE, and paste back the translation into the spreadsheet.

Evangelion  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Apr 29, 2010

OK, thanks, that is some workflow to adapt. I was just thinking if there is some way to mark a segment as blocked for translation - that is actually what I sometimes get from translation agencies, pre-prepared .ttx's with such blocked segments.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

XLS in TagEditor - how to block columns

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search