Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 04:35
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
May 1, 2010

Hello,

SDL Trados Studio Freelance 2009 is sending me the following message "Vous devez disposer d'une licence professionnelle pour utiliser ce logiciel sur un réseau professionnel" (you need a pro licence to use this software on a professionnal network)...

It was working fine before on the same machine !

Is this related to the fact that I am using an active directory session ?

Your fast help will be highly appreciated !

Best regards,

Mohamed

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:35
French to Polish
+ ...
Windows domain network May 1, 2010

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

SDL Trados Studio Freelance 2009 is sending me the following message "Vous devez disposer d'une licence professionnelle pour utiliser ce logiciel sur un réseau professionnel" (you need a pro licence to use this software on a professionnal network)...

It was working fine before on the same machine !

Is this related to the fact that I am using an active directory session ?

Yes.
The use of Trados Freelance in not allowed in the domain based networks.
SDL says it openly although it's not trumpeted.

It's time to pay 2250 euro for the version upgrade or change your CAT.

Cheers
GG

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
!+! May 1, 2010

Hello,

This really sucks ! I don't work for a translation agency, I work as an engineer for a Telecom Operator...It just happens that I use the same machine ! I would understand it if I was using the software on the "network" and not locally on the Machine !

Well guess I'll just have to use the Admin session !

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

French to Polish
+ ...
Local authentication mode May 1, 2010

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

This really sucks ! I don't work for a translation agency, I work as an engineer for a Telecom Operator...

No matter.
You should pay the Trados tax if you have an advanced network, you're supposed to be damn rich icon_smile.gif

It just happens that I use the same machine ! I would understand it if I was using the software on the "network" and not locally on the Machine !

The authentication mode is taken in the account.
The same with remote desktop connections, they're not allowed for Freelance editions.

Not necessarily.
You should only login locally AFAIR.
Alhough some Trados functions don't work (or don't work corectly) if you don't login as admin.

Cheers
GG

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... May 1, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Not necessarily.
Alhough some Trados functions don't work (or don't work corectly) if you don't login as admin.

Cheers
GG

I was talking of the admin because I only have the admin account in this machine besides my account on the network !

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
HA HA HA HA!!!! May 2, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I can't believe it!!!icon_smile.gif

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unblievable but true! May 2, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Yet, it's true ! Thank you SDL !

French to Polish
+ ...
Obfuscation... May 2, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Well...
http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdl-trados-studio
Somewhere at the end of the page.

True, I spent approx. 3 minutes to find this page but I already knew what I was searching foricon_smile.gif
I don't think 95-99% of prospects are able to find and fully understand this info.
So, yes, the information is openly accessible but you may say it's somehow obfuscated.

Cheers
GG

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I really find that it's odd May 2, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Well...
http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdl-trados-studio
Somewhere at the end of the page.

True, I spent approx. 3 minutes to find this page but I already knew what I was searching foricon_smile.gif
I don't think 95-99% of prospects are able to find and fully understand this info.
So, yes, the information is openly accessible but you may say it's somehow obfuscated.

Cheers
GG

"SDL Trados Studio 2009 SP2 is available in different versions to suit any user requirement - from freelance translator to large global corporations." I bought it at my name not at the name of my company !

I am not a large corporation I just happen to work for a company and to use the same computer for everything I do !

Frankly speaking I don't really see the point in this ! Every software out there can be installed on the machine since I'm using it locally ! That's a first !

Regards,

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Admin account? May 2, 2010

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Not necessarily.

Hi, Grzegorz,

What Trados functions do not work correctly without an Admin account?

I have been using different versions of Trados and MultiTerm for years with non-admin accounts and I have not come across function which requires Admin account.

I have not yet tried MT 2009 or Studio. Have you encountered problems with these in this respect?

Daniel

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think they prevent companies from using freelance licences May 2, 2010

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:
Frankly speaking I don't really see the point in this ! Every software out there can be installed on the machine since I'm using it locally ! That's a first !

As far as I know the reason behind this is that the Freelance version allows you to connect to a Trados server. This is fine (licence wise) if several freelancers buy their licences and use it to connect to a translation company server from home.

I think that SDL wants to avoid a situation where a corporation buys freelance licences instead of professional licences and have them connected to a server.

I don't think they thought that people could be using corporate computers for private freelance uses (or private freelance computers being connected to a corporate network).

Daniel

Algeria
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
!+! May 2, 2010

Daniel García wrote:

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

As far as I know the reason behind this is that the Freelance version allows you to connect to a Trados server. This is fine (licence wise) if several freelancers buy their licences and use it to connect to a translation company server from home.

I think that SDL wants to avoid a situation where a corporation buys freelance licences instead of professional licences and have them connected to a server.

I don't think they thought that people could be using corporate computers for private freelance uses (or private freelance computers being connected to a corporate network).

Daniel

They should find solutions that suit them and suit their costumers ! I don't have any problem with Wordfast Pro !

elena elena
English to Russian
+ ...
SDL Trados 2009 Freelance is a poorly written software Apr 21, 2011

Absolutely agree with Mohamed,
In my opinion this SDL Trados 2009 Freelance is a poorly written software.

Also it seems that SDL wants everyone to purchase professional licence. Unfortunatelly, this doesn't work for freelancers or these who use the software from time to time as anytime you connect your laptop to your home Wi-Fi you will get the following message:

''You should have a professional licence to use this software on a corporate network''.

SDL Trados 2009 Freelance is not recommended.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Not so Apr 21, 2011

Elena Widdowson wrote:
In my opinion this SDL Trados 2009 Freelance is a poorly written software.

Trados Studio is a good software, though perhaps too complicated for some users. However, this may be a question of habit.

Also it seems that SDL wants everyone to purchase professional licence. Unfortunatelly, this doesn't work for freelancers or these who use the software from time to time as anytime you connect your laptop to your home Wi-Fi you will get the following message:
''You should have a professional licence to use this software on a corporate network''.

Look through recent threads in this forum, there were workarounds of the problem of two computers on the same home network.

SDL Trados 2009 Freelance is not recommended.

My opinion on Studio is, on the contrary, very high: good software, convenient, with many useful features.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

You need a professional licence to use this software on a corporate network

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search