spamalot
Germany
Local time: 09:00
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
May 2, 2010

Hello,
I just purchased Trados 2009 for Freelancers and admit that I didn't dedicate as much time for the installation and familiarizing process as I normally would have. Thus there is this one issue remaining although everythig else is working fine and no problem, I simply cannot get preview to work at all (neither for source nor for target). I do not know what to do, it keeps giving me an error message saying it cannot locate the original file in a temp directory and that I need to copy it into that directory. The temp directory indicated is different every time I try and I copied the original file several times, it doesn't work. It seems strange to me that it says it cannot find the original.
Thank you very much for your tolerance, human understanding for the frazzled mind and kind suggestions as to what to do.

Best wishes,
spamalot

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
What file type? May 2, 2010

Hello,
what file type are you trying to preview? The preview will only work with a limited number of file types (DOC, PPT, HML). Have you tried creating a project with a file stored in an easy location, such as on your Windows Desktop?

spamalot
Germany
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Desktop location + type May 3, 2010

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, interesting question about the file location,
it is a translation document that was already sent to me in .doc.ttx format, along with TM. It is saved in the client directory in my documents.
In the process I found out that the source must be a website and was able to go to page view and see it as a website in my browser and I am thrilled, because it is all in the right place. Thus it is neither an HTML nor a DOC document in origin. I am happy you tell me this very simple fact, because I had a hard time downloading Trados and was worried it wasn't all working -- but it is. Thanks very much Stanslav.

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
And another thing... May 3, 2010

You have to make the TTX conversion on your computer to preview.
Sooner or later, you'll probably encounter an Office file that doesn't want to preview. Just press the F8 key to check the tags. Most likely you will have missed one.

Voice of experience...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Trados user, silly quesion re: preview

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search