What should I label the TMs in Trados when I'm working for a translation agency?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 2, 2010

What should I label the TMs in Trados when I'm working for a translation agency?

Should I label each TM with the end customer's name?

For instance, I receive a translation job from Agency A, and the end customer of this translation job
is Company A. Later, I receive a new translation job, also from Agency A, but now the end customer is Company B.

When creating a TM, should I label this TM 'Agency A' or should I create two separate TMs, one TM 'Company A' and one TM 'Company B'? That is, a single TM for this translation agency, or a separate TM for each of this translation agency's end customers?

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:17
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I label it with an individual project ID that I assign May 2, 2010

My individual project ID consists of a 3-digit number that I assign to each customer who comes along (therefore I can see the customer from my project ID in the TU) plus the year, the month, and a number recording which number project it is for that client that month.

If you re-use the same TU again, and it already has a project ID attached from the first occasion, you can update the TM in such a way that the new project ID will be added to the TU as well. This is what I do.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search