Importing a glossary to Trados
Thread poster: David Moore

David Moore  Identity Verified
French to English
May 2, 2010

Hi Everybody,
Could anybody offer me any advice on how to import a plain-text tab delimited glossary (created in Wordfast) in to Trados (Studio 2009 demo version)?
I managed successfully import a TM which had been created in Wordfast and then converted to TMX format using the WF2TMX converter, but the same process does not work for the glossary. I get the message: 'This termbase cannot be opened because it has been created with an unsupported version of Mutiterm'.
Any advice for a novice greatly received,
David

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:12
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Create an Excel list out of your tab-delimited file May 2, 2010

and create a Multiterm termbase from it.
A description (for MT 2007, but it did not change that much - only the access to termbase catalogue in Multiterm is easier now) can be found on my website.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Is there a way without Multiterm? May 2, 2010

Hi Jerzy,
Thank you for your reply and the useful link. I can of course create the excel file, but I do not have Multiterm (I'm using the 30 day demo version of Trados Studio 2009). Is using Multiterm the only way of converting and importing a glossary?
Kind regards
David

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:12
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You cannot do it without Multiterm May 2, 2010

Hi David,

Multiterm is the terminology component of the SDL Trados software. I am afraid you will not get very far without it.

Astrid

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for setting me straight May 2, 2010

Hi Astrid,
Thanks for setting me straight. I'm trying to import the glossary as part of an MA assignment comparing how two different CAT tools interact with the same TM and Glossary, but that’s cut this part of the study short.
Thanks for your help,
David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing a glossary to Trados

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search