How do I use my TW with a bilingual text in MS Word?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 2, 2010

I've already created the TM and have MS Word and TW open.

I translated the Word-document earlier, and wrote the target language translation beneath the source language (with a blank line between)

Open/Get: When I place the cursor immediately before the först TU in the source language sentence, and press Open/Get to get the yellow-coloured field below the green one, it is empty (my translation is not there). Should I cut ut and paste into the yellow area, then Close/Set/Next/Open/Get?

When I continue with Close/Set/Next/Open/Get, there are formatting marks in my Word-document, made my TW. If I go through all the Word-document and get all these formatting marks made by Trados, can I choose not to save the Word-document? And use my original simple bilingual Word-document to send to my customer? If I instead save the Word-document with all formatting marks, will my client see these formatting marks?

My client doesn't require that I use Trados yet, I'm a beginner now and want to practice for myself to get used working with TW.

If I don't save TW, just close it, will it save anything automatically anyway?

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why can't I cut out the target text and paste into yellow field? May 3, 2010

Why can't I cut out the target text and paste into yellow field?

In my bilingual Word document, when I try to cut out the target translation below the source text and paste into the empty yellow TW-field, I doesn't paste it into that yellow field but outside (the yellow field remains empty). The only way is to retype directly in the yellow field, and erase my target translation.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:21
English to Russian
+ ...
You do it wrong May 3, 2010

You cannot cut out a translated sentence because the software is not designed to function this way.

If you like to cut out segments from a ready translation in order to populate a translation memory, you should make it in the following way (as I see it)

a/
You should open you bilingual text (MS Word file) in a Word processor.

b/
You should open your original text using Trados and start translating it.

c/
You will be able to cut/copy translated segments from the file A/ and paste them in the file B/.
Trados will populate the selected TM and will create a trados-bilingul(unclean) translated file for you.

++
Or you can use some other software to create Translation Memory out of you translated files.
My favorite one is PlusTools free utility. You can download it from www.wordfast.net.

[Edited at 2010-05-03 07:46 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 23:21
English to Czech
+ ...
Manual & webinars May 3, 2010

Hi Fredrik,
proceed as Sergei suggested. My 2c: read the Getting Started manuals and/or take one of the webinars for newbies offered by SDL. That should help you get started.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
When I tried to copy/paste, the pasted text comes outside of the yellow field May 3, 2010

When I tried to copy/paste, the pasted text comes outside of the yellow field, just as before.

Sergei, I had both the original text open and the bilingual Word document. I started translating the original (open/get), and copy from bilingual Word document. But the same as before: when I paste, the pasted text comes outside of the yellow field, just above it. And the yellow field remains empty. What do I do wrong?

Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 23:21
English to Dutch
+ ...
rtfm May 3, 2010

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
What do I do wrong?

Absolutely everything.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search