Thread poster: Philippe Morgan de Rivery

Philippe Morgan de Rivery  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:26
Member (2009)
English to French
May 3, 2010

Dear fellow translators,

This is a real emergency, I have SDL Trados 2009 SP2 (+ SDL Trados 2007, which I never use), and my new customer asks me to send him a word bilingual file, which i guess is similar to the uncleaned translation of the older Trados versions (I had 6.5 and it was like that). The problem is, I have my TM and my sdlxliff file, but I have no idea how to make a bilingual file in Word with Trados tags with that. Also, I have tried using my tmx file from my TM in 2007, but I can't convert it in txt format anyway to insert it into a new tm in tmw format for Trados 2007. Of course, if there was a simple way to convert the sdlxliff file into a word file with trados tags, it would be great.

Please let me know if you can help me, thank you in advance !

Philippe

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
You send your client the .tmx export from Studio May 3, 2010

The client can import it into Workbench, no problem.

France
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
doesn't work... May 3, 2010

Hi,

Thank you, but I exported it as a tmx and tried to import it into a tmw tm in workbench 2007 and it doesn't work... There are several versions of tmx I can choose but it doesn't matter it doesn't want to import it (I have never been able to do that, even with other projects).

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Error? May 3, 2010

...I exported it as a tmx and tried to import it into a tmw tm in workbench 2007 and it doesn't work...

Any error message you are receiving? Please, generally provide as many details as possible.

France
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Error message May 3, 2010

Yes, I am getting an error message :

I first export from Trados 2009 as a tmx (only one choice, + compressed tmx but I don't think this is it).
Then I open I can import tmx.1.1, 1.4, 1.4b (I don't know which one to choose)
Then, whatever solution I choose, it says : (35000):SSLex0105e:InvalidToken,Line1,Offset1 (then there is a Chinese character, which may be due to the fact that I have Chinese installed on my computer, I don't know - although I don't translate from it.

Basically I have no idea what I should do at this point...

Thank you for your help,

Philippe

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Decompress compressed TMX? May 3, 2010

tredegar82 wrote:

Yes, I am getting an error message :

I first export from Trados 2009 as a tmx (only one choice, + compressed tmx but I don't think this is it).
Then I open I can import tmx.1.1, 1.4, 1.4b (I don't know which one to choose)
Then, whatever solution I choose, it says : (35000):SSLex0105e:InvalidToken,Line1,Offset1 (then there is a Chinese character, which may be due to the fact that I have Chinese installed on my computer, I don't know - although I don't translate from it.

Basically I have no idea what I should do at this point...

Thank you for your help,

Philippe

If the TMX is indeed compressed (never heard of compressed tmx files but anyway...), I guess you need to decompress it for importing into Trados Workbench. I am sure that TW cannot import compressed TMX files.

Regards,

Piotr

France
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
It's not compressed May 3, 2010

Sorry if I wasn't clear, my tm file is not compressed, it's just another option that was available when I exported my tm from studio 2009, but I just did the regular tmx export. This is this regular tmx file that I can't import in Workbench.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TMX 1.4b May 3, 2010

Hello,
it should be TMX 1.4b. Try to create a new TM with the respective language pair and import the TM exported from Studio as TMX 1.4b.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What happened in the end? Aug 27, 2010

I think the final outcome of your struggles would be very interesting information for colleagues who are bound to falling into the same situation. How did you resolve this?

Thanks a million in advance!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:26
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Bilingual Word file? Aug 27, 2010

I cannot imagine what is wanted out of bilingual Word file. If the client only wants to see 2 languages in Word file, I have another option. Open your TMX file with text editor e.g. NotePad. Select all and copy to Word. Save as a *.doc or *.docx file: this is a bilingual file. You can avoid errors by this way.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't quite agree Aug 27, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:
I cannot imagine what is wanted out of bilingual Word file. If the client only wants to see 2 languages in Word file, I have another option. Open your TMX file with text editor e.g. NotePad. Select all and copy to Word. Save as a *.doc or *.docx file: this is a bilingual file. You can avoid errors by this way.

But the TMX file contains plenty of clutter. Very probably the customer wants to have a reviewer to go through the text in a clear way. If the editor or proofreader has to see tags all over the shoppe, it's really not good for concentration and quality. To me, a bilingual Word file makes total sense!

France
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
In fact the problem was an encoding one Aug 27, 2010

In fact, the problem - as I discovered only later, so I posted another post about it - was that I could not import the tmx with Workbench in Trados 2007 (which would have enabled me to recreate the file from the TM). I didn't get a solution for that immediately but got one several months later from another translator (thanks to her by the way!). I paste it below, can still be useful for some people even if the problem is more specific than the one mentioned in the title of this post :

My question :

tredegar82 wrote:

Dear fellow translators, dear SDL support,

It is the sequel from my previous post : I tried to create
a bilingual word document (I had manage to create a
bilingual Excel file from the preview, but without
formatting) by using a translation done on SDL Trados 2009,
because my client asked for it (they were using an older
version of Trados) and I couldn't do it, chiefly because I
didn't manage to import my tmx file into the new tmw tm I
had created in SDL Trados 2007 (with the same language pairs
of course). Each time I tried to import the tmx file (in tmx
1.4b format), the following error message appeared :
(35000):SSLex0105e:InvalidToken,Line1,Offset1锘

This is, I guess, a kind of internal programming problem. I
have also tried to import other tmx, or use other Studio
2007 translation memories but it didn't work. Because of my
inability to provide the bilingual file they were asking for
(what we would call the "uncleaned translation"), I lost
both the job and the client. I would be very happy if
someone here could give me some advice regarding this
problem.

Best regards,

Philippe

The answer that provided me with the solution :

i encountered this problem too and i found that it is a
problem of encoding.
when you export a tmx file from trados 2007 and open it
with a text editor such as notepad2, you will find that the
encoding is Unicode. while the tmx file exported by the
studio may be UTF-8 in your case. i think that is why Trados
2007 does not accept the file, and so you just need to
change it to Unicode and everything will be ok.

Hope this can help you,

Philippe

Paul Godfrey
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:26
French to English
Possible solution Nov 22, 2010

I think I might have found a way of doing this. Say you have a Word document, xxx.doc. Open it with TagEditor, don't start Trados 2007 Workbench when prompted. Save the file as xxx.doc.ttx.

Then translate the ttx file in Trados 2009 Studio. When you finalise the projecxt you will end up with a bilingual .ttx file.

Then select File>Save Target As... in T2009 and you are given the choice of the TagEditor file or THE ORIGINAL FILE FORMAT. Save in the original file format and you will have created the translated xxx.doc AND the bilingual TagEditor file for the agency to proofread.

This seemed to work OK when I tried it on a fairly simple Word file, but I'm sure the way forward will be strewn with boulders!!

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
bilingual Word file vs. bilingual TagEditor file Nov 22, 2010

Hello Paul,

Indeed this is a solution (which I use for instance when I translate ppt files and am required to send the uncleaned file - thanks to the recommendations of a colleague on ProZ), but I believe that when clients ask for an "uncleaned" Word file, they expect a *.doc / *.docx bilingual file, and not a *.ttx. That is, one is expected to deliver two Word files (one clean with the target text, and one unclean with the bilingual text).

With your process you would end delivering a clean Word (target text) but the bilingual document would be in another format (TagEditor), wouldn't it? Or is there a trick to convert the bilingual *.ttx into a bilingual *.doc before delivery?

Thank you,
A.

[Edited at 2010-11-22 20:47 GMT]

Paul Godfrey
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:26
French to English
Yes that's true, but... Nov 23, 2010

Hello Aude

Yes, you're right of course, but my agencies seem happy with whatever format they receive the bilingual file in - with T2007 I habitually changed between native Word and .ttx according to whatever formatting problems (and they have been many and various as we all know!) turned up. As long as they can clean the document into their TMs and conveniently proofread the translation my lot don't seem to mind!

Paul

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help ! Need to convert sdlxliff file into word trados bilingual file

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search