Is it a good idea to first make bilingual files, and then use Trados?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
May 3, 2010

Can I first make bilingual files and then use Trados?

My idea is that it's easier for me to write my translation beneath each paragraph, because I get a better overview compared to if I immediately write over with my translation in TW.

In the long run, when I get more and more clients, is this way of working possible or not? Will it take too long time? Or, if I can copy and paste my translations from bilingual document into original document, would it be a good idea?

It feels much easier to have one paragraph with the source text, and immediately beneath the translated paragraph in the target language. I get an overview of the whole paragraph and can quickly make corrections when I see the relations between the sentences in this paragraph. This is not possible if I use TW from the start and immediately overwrite the original document with my translations, is it?

Direct link Reply with quote

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:34
German to English
+ ...
Have you worked with Trados before? May 3, 2010

The only way I have used Trados is there are different colored boxes showing the source segment and the target segment below that. You write your translation into the target box, obviously. You can overwrite the original in the target box if you have enabled the option "copy source into target field if no match" (or some similar wording), but you still have the original above it. So it seems that would fulfill your requirement sufficiently. You can also extend the segments, i.e. make them longer - but it usually isn't useful to make them longer than one sentence because then it loses it's value as a translation memory (i.e. not so likely entire paragraphs will be repeated as much as individual sentences would be). If you aren't showing both source and target boxes, then you must enable "show hidden text" to get the bilingual effect. You do that by clicking on the paragraph symbol in the tool bar at the top.

I wouldn't recommend making a bilingual file first and then copying and pasting, as that is very time-consuming, and would negate the advantage of using a CAT tool, as I see it.
Certainly try it, but I think you'll realize soon enough that it's too time-consuming to do it that way.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So then I can have the bilingual effect also in Trados? May 4, 2010

So then I can have the bilingual effect also in Trados? Thank you very much Woodstock, I'm a beginner with Trados, and I'm taking it step-by-step now, to work out each detail that will work the best for me, trying to get the basic functions of Trados working smoothly from the beginning.

Woodstock  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Showing both languages with Trados WB May 5, 2010

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

So then I can have the bilingual effect also in Trados?

Yes, you can. It would help you to watch/download the instruction videos at the SDL Trados website and take an introductory course through ProZ. The manuals are so complex, I admit I have never read them thoroughly. I only use them as a reference when I have a specific problem. As a beginner you can make a lot of mistakes (and not only beginners!), so it would behoove you to know what you are doing BEFORE accepting an assignment using Trados.

There is also lots of info to be gained through various articles on ProZ, I believe, and certainly a boatload of forum discussions on just about every aspect of Trados, so it would be worthwhile to take a look at those, as well.

[Edited at 2010-05-05 06:24 GMT]

mariale125
Local time: 15:34
English to Spanish
Segmentation rules ... May 12, 2010

Hi, Frederick I just wanna to tell you that you can change segmentation rules in File < Setup < Segmentation rules, there you can choose 'End of paragraph'. (By the way I use TW 7.0.0.615)

If you activate hidden text in Word (the inverted p symbol in Word's menu), Word will show you both the target and the source segment.

In 'Translated Text Colours' from Options menu of TW you can select different colours for the source and target segments to facilitate the reading.

Hope this helps you.

Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just what I needed to know to get started quickly! May 13, 2010

Just what I needed to know to get started quickly!

Thanks very much Mariale125, your info was really helpful. But will each segment count as a whole paragraph then, if I change to 'End of paragraph'? Or is it just for displaying a whole paragraph?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes May 13, 2010

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
But will each segment count as a whole paragraph then, if I change to 'End of paragraph'?

Yes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it a good idea to first make bilingual files, and then use Trados?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search