Thread poster: Philippe Morgan de Rivery

Philippe Morgan de Rivery  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:48
Member (2009)
English to French
May 5, 2010

Dear fellow translators, dear SDL support,

It is the sequel from my previous post : I tried to create a bilingual word document (I had manage to create a bilingual Excel file from the preview, but without formatting) by using a translation done on SDL Trados 2009, because my client asked for it (they were using an older version of Trados) and I couldn't do it, chiefly because I didn't manage to import my tmx file into the new tmw tm I had created in SDL Trados 2007 (with the same language pairs of course). Each time I tried to import the tmx file (in tmx 1.4b format), the following error message appeared : (35000):SSLex0105e:InvalidToken,Line1,Offset1锘

This is, I guess, a kind of internal programming problem. I have also tried to import other tmx, or use other Studio 2007 translation memories but it didn't work. Because of my inability to provide the bilingual file they were asking for (what we would call the "uncleaned translation"), I lost both the job and the client. I would be very happy if someone here could give me some advice regarding this problem.

Best regards,

Philippe

Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:48
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Use a macro from Excel May 5, 2010

http://www.google.gr/search?rlz=1C1CHMC_elGR291GR304&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=convert%20Excel%20glossaries%20Trados%20translation%20memory&qscrl=1

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Solutions May 5, 2010

tredegar82 wrote:

It is the sequel from my previous post : I tried to create a bilingual word document (I had manage to create a bilingual Excel file from the preview, but without formatting) by using a translation done on SDL Trados 2009, because my client asked for it (they were using an older version of Trados) and I couldn't do it, chiefly because I didn't manage to import my tmx file into the new tmw tm I had created in SDL Trados 2007 (with the same language pairs of course). Each time I tried to import the tmx file (in tmx 1.4b format), the following error message appeared : (35000):SSLex0105e:InvalidToken,Line1,Offset1锘

This is, I guess, a kind of internal programming problem. I have also tried to import other tmx, or use other Studio 2007 translation memories but it didn't work. Because of my inability to provide the bilingual file they were asking for (what we would call the "uncleaned translation"), I lost both the job and the client. I would be very happy if someone here could give me some advice regarding this problem.

Best regards,

Philippe

As to creating a TM from an Excel file, that's pretty easy; there are multiple ways to do it. If you want an unformatted bilingual doc from an Excel table, the easiest is to just insert the Trados tags in Excel. See my posts here: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/163060-creating_tm_from_excel_file.html
To create a TMX from Excel, the macro should work, and so should the script in my aligner package (see link in other thread).

Now I don't really get how you created a TMX and what you wanted to do with it. Do you mean you exported a TM into TMX in Studio and Trados 2007 didn't accept it? Or did you create the TMX from your Excel file?
The error message looks a bit like a simple issue with an unsupported character, possibly BOM: it references character one in line one. Maybe the file had one too many BOMs in it for Trados' liking for some reason (or just some other junk character at the beginning), which should be very easy to fix Just open the file, have a look and delete the first character if it's some rubbish corrupted crap. This is just a stab in the dark, though. Hard to tell without a better description of the issue... Maybe SDL support will chime in.

The thing with TMX is that you can never be quite sure the two tools do indeed use compatible formats. It should all be a nirvana of flawless compatibility, but apparently, it ain't. I'm guessing CAT vendors don't mind a few errors and glitches here and there that provide a bit of an incentive for to use their own tools for real, no-nonsense compatibility (see your own case, you're being pushed towards Trados for this very reason). Anyway, what I'm trying to say is: if an import fails, open the TMX with a text editor and compare it to a TMX exported from the tool you're trying to import to. That and the content of the error message you get should often allow you to identify and correct the problem.

[Edited at 2010-05-05 10:10 GMT]

France
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Follow-up on Excel and tmx May 5, 2010

Hello everybody,

Thank you for your suggestions, I will try them and let you know how it goes. The thing my text was not in Excel at the beginning, it was a Word file, which I then transformed into a sdlxliff document. I only managed to create an Excel file from it by going into the "print preview" option and then creating a bilingual file from the result (creating a source and target preview Word document didn't seem to be possible, this case was greyed out). In fact, my client was asking me for a bilingual Word file with all the tags and everything, the thing I used to do before when I had an earlier version of Trados (6.5), it simply was the uncleaned version of my translation. Since the translation agency was asking for this (for the proofreader), my idea was to export my translation memory from Studio 2009, import it as a tmx into a new tm in Studio 2007 Workbench, and then use "autotranslate" to retranslate the whole document in Word, thus giving me the bilingual file they wanted. But my problem was that I was never able to import the tmx into the tmw in the first place because of this error message. i'm going to try the solution you mention (erasing the first letter), one never knows... Thank you for your help!

Philippe

PS I could also transform the Excel file into a TM, but not sure it would solve my problem. + the bold letters etc. have not been kept in the Excel file.

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:48
Member (2004)
German to English
Wht didn't/don't you create a TTX from the Word file? May 6, 2010

If I understood you correctly you need to deliver the Word file, right?
Create a TTX of the Word file in TagEditor, open it in Studio, run it through the memory in Studio. Save as TTX, save as Word in Studio. Then you can send them back the TTX, which should be enough to keep them happy.
Gillian

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Studio -> TMX -> old Trados should work May 6, 2010

tredegar82 wrote:

my idea was to export my translation memory from Studio 2009, import it as a tmx into a new tm in TRADOS 2007 Workbench, and then use "autotranslate" to retranslate the whole document in Word, thus giving me the bilingual file they wanted.

This should work in principle, try again and check the TMX if it doesn't.

Gillian: thanks for playing, but you missed the point: the client wants a bilingual word file.

toxomo
Chinese to English
encoding problem Aug 15, 2010

tredegar82 wrote:

Best regards,

Philippe

i encountered this problem too and i found that it is a problem of encoding.
when you export a tmx file from trados 2007 and open it with a text editor such as notepad2, you will find that the encoding is Unicode. while the tmx file exported by the studio may be UTF-8 in your case. i think that is why Trados 2007 does not accept the file, and so you just need to change it to Unicode and everything will be ok.

France
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Encoding problem Aug 15, 2010

Thank you Toxomo,

It has been a long time now and I had not found a real solution (just exported a preview translation directly from Trados into Excel), I will try this one just for the sake of it and let you know. It is possible that it is the thing you mention because although I don't translate from Chinese I live in Taiwan and I have a Taiwanese laptop, so it might have put the text in UTF mode.

Will let you know, thank you for your help!

Philippe

France
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
It was the encoding, thank you!!!! Aug 15, 2010

謝謝tomoxo你的幫助! It was the encoding indeed! I never would have guessed. It is too late for my project, but this can be helpful for somebody encountering the same problem in the future.

Thanks again,
Philippe

PS Everyone just refer to tomoxo's solution above. You can download notepad2 as a freeware, just change the encoding from utf-8 to unicode and you're all set.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot import TMX from SDL Trados 2009 into Workbench TMW TM

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search