Soizic CiFuentes
Soizic CiFuentes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:04
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
May 5, 2010

First, I saw in the forum the same post, but no answer helped me. I did follow with no success the process of one of the helper.

Here is the problem. I am using Trados 2007 on Word 2007. After working for a while, the translation unit won't open. At times, I was able to open it by clicking " fix document" and reopening by placing my cursor on either the target or the source. Now, nothing will do. It just closes for no particular reason. When I try to reopen, a message says: Trans
... See more
First, I saw in the forum the same post, but no answer helped me. I did follow with no success the process of one of the helper.

Here is the problem. I am using Trados 2007 on Word 2007. After working for a while, the translation unit won't open. At times, I was able to open it by clicking " fix document" and reopening by placing my cursor on either the target or the source. Now, nothing will do. It just closes for no particular reason. When I try to reopen, a message says: Translation unit seems to be open. But it is NOT. The translation unit is closed. I clicked on Set Close anyway. Or on Close. I do that several times. Then, the WorkBench message is saying: Cursor must be in source or in target field. And the damn cursor is in fact in the correct field. So it is visibly close, but Workbench thinks it is not.

The only thing I could do, is to delete the whole paragraph and to go to my original document, translate with TRADOS, then copy this paragraph to put it in the document I am working on. Imagine the time I am wasting doing this insane process.

Well now, I can't even do it. I won't open on both documents, the original and the one I am working on.

I also saved my document in RTF.

I also closed Trados and Word. Nothing.

Right now, I am going to reboot and see tomorrow if someone will be so nice to help me out with the problem.

Looking forward to read your comments.

Soizic Cifuentes
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:04
English to Czech
+ ...
Suggestions May 5, 2010

Hi Soizic,
I only have two suggestions for you:
1. Try working in the Normal View rather than in the Print View in Word.
2. Translate the Word document in TagEditor to avoid more pain.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:04
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
rebooting is not necessary May 5, 2010

The problem is in Word file itself - some paragraphs contain proably additional unvisible code.
When TW say, TU seems to be open, check if any Trados bookmarks aren't left. When all segments are closed and you still see a Trados bookmar (contains the letters TW in its name), delete it.
And please - forget about Word as editing environment, change to Tageditor instead, where such problems do never occur.

Soizic CiFuentes
Soizic CiFuentes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:04
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to both of you May 6, 2010

I put this particular document in SDSL and I got rid of the problem. I guess you were right. Word is the issue with Trados. It was an issue with Wordfast and this is one of the reason I switched to Trados.

Thanks again

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados NOT opening next segment

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »