Unable to open .tmx memory in Trados 2007
Thread poster: Louise Gough

Louise Gough  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:26
German to English
+ ...
May 7, 2010

Apologies if this has been asked somewhere before, but I can't seem to find a similar problem on the forum.

I'm fairly new to translation memory, but have managed to complete a few jobs using Tag Editor. In the past I have been able to open TM files but the one I've just been sent by a client has the .tmx suffix and Trados does not offer the option of opening this type of file in the menu, it just offers .tmw. Now the strange thing is that I am able to open the TM in 2009 Studio, but for some reason the 2007 version will not let me load this TM.

Any advice on how to proceed to the stage where I can pretranslate the Word file in Trados 2007 using the TM that the client has supplied would be greatly appreciated. I can see a long and frustrating weekend stretching ahead!

Thanks and best regards

Louise

[Edited at 2010-05-07 14:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-05-07 15:18 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Oscar Martin
Spain
Local time: 04:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
TMX file May 7, 2010

Hi Louise,

You cannot open directly a TMX file in Trados 2007. You must open an existing .tmw TM or create a new one in Trados Workbench. Then, you go to File > Import and select TMX 1.4 in the window, select the tmx file and click OK.

Oscar

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 05:26
English to Latvian
~ May 7, 2010

Simply import it in a new TM.

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TM created but now it won't work... May 7, 2010

Thank you both - I've tried that and it appears to have created the translation memory, but when I try to open it for the job I get an error message that says "An error occurred while trying to verify the license. Please check the installation and try again. Translator's Workbench Freelance will now close."

This is rather an unhelpful error message - check the installation for what exactly? Any further suggestions very welcome!

Thanks again,
Louise

Igor Blinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:26
Member (2007)
English to Russian
+ ...
License violation May 8, 2010

When you were installing Trados, you should enter software key from the file *.lic.
Go to SDL International/Licenses folder wherever it is on your PC and check that license.lic file exists. If not, then just copy your license file to that folder.
Another probable situation may be that you have a second Workbench instance run on you PC. Trados Freelance 2007 license allows only one copy of Workbench running on the computer, so just close the second one.

Hope that this will help.

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 9, 2010

Thank you Igor, I'll give that a try.
Regards
Louise

Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Typical error message May 10, 2010

Louise Gough wrote:

Thank you both - I've tried that and it appears to have created the translation memory, but when I try to open it for the job I get an error message that says "An error occurred while trying to verify the license. Please check the installation and try again. Translator's Workbench Freelance will now close."

Hi Louise,
this is a typical error message you will receive when you have TW already open and forget about it, then try to open a second (unsupported) session.

This has nothing to do with having the license installed (which is obviously your case, how could you run TW if it were not installed?) AFAIK.

Denis Pajtak  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2004)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Nope Jun 28, 2010

Hi!
I have the same problem; none of the tmx or txt imports work, not even in a new TM; it simply states all entries are illegal when imported.
My coply 0f SDL Trados is legal and both sides use it; obviously, term pairs are also the same.
I'm leaning toward a code problem (UTF-8 in Croatia) but that's jus a guess...

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Test Jun 28, 2010

Denis Pajtak wrote:
I have the same problem; none of the tmx or txt imports work

it simply states all entries are illegal when imported.

Give it a thorough test.
Get a TMX file that you know to be valid (I can give you one if you need, or just export one of your own TMs with Trados.) Try to import it into a newly created TM. Also, pay attention to language codes. Imports can fail because the language codes are not the same as the languages of the TM, or because they are not what Trados expects (different tools use slightly different codes.

"Txt" is not just any txt TM file, it's Trados' own special format so if you were trying to import a tab delimited txt or a TMX renamed to txt, you were bound to get an error.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to open .tmx memory in Trados 2007

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search