https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/170299-how_to_compare_2_tag_editor_files_to_see_qa.html

How to compare 2 Tag Editor files to see QA?
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 10:46
English to French
May 9, 2010

Hello,

One of my Trados Tag Editor 7 translation has been reviewed by a reviewer/proofreader from the agency I am working with.

However I asked for the QA file to see where I had possibly made mistakes, and the project manager sent me new Trados files...

I opened them in Tag Editor and they were exactly the same as my final translation, therefore I couldn't see any changes.

The project manager told me that he didn't have a QA file and that he w
... See more
Hello,

One of my Trados Tag Editor 7 translation has been reviewed by a reviewer/proofreader from the agency I am working with.

However I asked for the QA file to see where I had possibly made mistakes, and the project manager sent me new Trados files...

I opened them in Tag Editor and they were exactly the same as my final translation, therefore I couldn't see any changes.

The project manager told me that he didn't have a QA file and that he would not send me any more files because he is too busy, etc.

Question: maybe I missed something here? How can I see changes made on my translation by a reviewer in Tag Editor/ TRADOS?

And if I don't see anything, how can I negociate with the project manager?

As long as I don't see my mistakes I can't take it for granted that I made mistakes. I trust the agency, but I must see where I made mistakes.

I mean: is the customer/translation agency under obligation to prove to me my mistakes or I have no control over this and they can say whatever they want about my work (and not pay me if too many mistakes for example but this is not the case I'm pretty confident about it).

I know that some translators didn't get paid and were "used" by some unscrupulous agencies/customers (and they argued that the translator made too many mistakes without proving it)...I'm talking in general. Then they find another translator and do the same and therefore never have to pay for the whole translation!

Though I doubt that this is the intention of the translation agency I work with, I can't be 100% confident about it.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 11:46
English to Turkish
+ ...
You can use a text editor May 9, 2010

Hi Alexandre,

You can use a text editor, e.g. Notepad++ to compare the files and find out the differences, if any.

Selcuk

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Apsic Comparator May 10, 2010

Apsic Comparator allows comparing ttx files and generates a nice report:

http://www.apsic.com/en/products_comparator.html

Eduardo García Soñanes
Eduardo García Soñanes
Mexico
Local time: 02:46
English to Spanish
ApSIC Comparator May 10, 2010

Jabberwock is right. You can use ApSIC Comparator. I use it and it works great!

Good luck!
Eduardo

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Splitting/joining segments May 10, 2010

Eduardo García Soñanes wrote:

Beware.
When segments were joined/splitted in the revieved file, the Comparator will throw en error.

Cheers
GG

Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
About ApSIC Comparator May 11, 2010

Hello,

Well, I downloaded and installed this ApSIC Comparator but I didn't quite figure out how to use it.

Could somebody explain to me in a few steps how to compare the two Tag Editor files please with this software?

Can I also see the name of the reviewer/proofreader?

[Edited at 2010-05-11 00:06 GMT]

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
In short May 11, 2010

1. Run the program and in the first window select the files to be reviewed, i.e. those that are changed - add them manually or select the whole folder tree. Press Next.

2. In the second window select the directories: first should be set (for reviewed files), the second needs to be selected manually. Obviously, the names of the compared files need to be the same. For example, c:\projects\source\order1.ttx and c:\projects\target\order1.ttx.

3. Finally, select the director
... See more
1. Run the program and in the first window select the files to be reviewed, i.e. those that are changed - add them manually or select the whole folder tree. Press Next.

2. In the second window select the directories: first should be set (for reviewed files), the second needs to be selected manually. Obviously, the names of the compared files need to be the same. For example, c:\projects\source\order1.ttx and c:\projects\target\order1.ttx.

3. Finally, select the directory where do you want your report to be saved.

4. Press Start - a new tab appears where you can check progress and open the results file or, in case of errors, the log file.

That's about it.
Collapse

Umang Dholabhai
Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:16
English to Gujarati
+ ...
To add Apr 21, 2011

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Eduardo García Soñanes wrote:

Beware.
When segments were joined/splitted in the revieved file, the Comparator will throw en error.

Cheers
GG

The file names too should be identical or they are skipped. I had to rename the proofread ttx files as per the unreviewed ones, the names of which were altered by the proofreader.

acruzo
acruzo
Local time: 04:46
English to Spanish
How to assign the files to be compared with ApSIC Comparator Dec 7, 2011

This is the step-by-step procedure to compare original files vs. reviewed files:

1. Save the original file and the reviewed file with exactly the same name under different folders.
2. Launch ApSIC Comparator
3. In "Select Files" window, click the Add button and browse to the folder which contains the ALREADY REVIEWED FILE(S). These are the only file(s) that must be included in the "Reviewed Files" window in this step. DO NOT include the ORIGINAL FILE(S).
4. Click
... See more
This is the step-by-step procedure to compare original files vs. reviewed files:

1. Save the original file and the reviewed file with exactly the same name under different folders.
2. Launch ApSIC Comparator
3. In "Select Files" window, click the Add button and browse to the folder which contains the ALREADY REVIEWED FILE(S). These are the only file(s) that must be included in the "Reviewed Files" window in this step. DO NOT include the ORIGINAL FILE(S).
4. Click NEXT.
5. In "Choose Settings" window, click on the button at the right hand of the text box "Base Directory of Reviewed Files" and browse to the folder containing the REVIEWED FILE(S). Click OK.
6. In "Choose Settings" window, click on the button at the right hand of the text box "Base Directory of Unreviewed Files" and browse to the folder containing the ORIGINAL FILE(S). Click OK.
7. In "Choose Settings" window, click on the button at the right hand of the text box "Result File" and browse to the folder containing the ORIGINAL FILE(S). "ApSIC Comparator" will save the htm file "apcomp.htm" with the results of the comparison in this folder. Click OK.
8. In "Choose Settings" window, mark the box for "Highlight changes in result file" under "Options". If you want, mark the box for "Stop process in the first error" under "Options".
9. In "Choose Settings" window, click on "Start" button.
10. "ApSIC Comparator" will run the comparison.
11. In "View Results" window, click "Open Result File". "ApSIC Comparator" will show you the comparison results it saved in file "apcomp.htm".
Collapse

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Local time: 11:46
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Try ChangeTracker Dec 19, 2011

You can try a different software for this purpose: www.change-tracker.com

should be simple and less steps

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to compare 2 Tag Editor files to see QA?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »