failed to save target content: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryExceptioin' was thrown
Thread poster: Sarita Kraus
Sarita Kraus  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 10, 2010

I translated a very big text (close to 78K words) with Studio 2009. the original word document was Word 97-2003. I have Windows Vista and Office 2007.
After finishing the translation, now that I am trying to save is as target, I keep getting this message:
failed to save target content: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryExceptioin' was thrown

Every time it indicates another place in the document, with the red X. I confirm the translation (I don't see any problem there) and try to save it again, this time to get the same error message and an indication of another place in the document. Sometimes the indication gets me to a place without the red X.
That is the same, over and over again. the same error message.
What can I do about it?
Thx
Sarita Kraus

Direct link Reply with quote

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:53
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Two ideas May 10, 2010

Have you tried terminating any other processes or closing any other applications that may be running or active in the background?

Have you tried increasing your virtual memory? (Google how to do it in your own system. It may help.)

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:53
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Save the text in bilingual format May 10, 2010

Close Studio, close all unnecessary application, including Internet browsing and email.
Start Studio, open the file and attempt to save as target again. This should work now.

The error message indicates, that Studio is not able to find enough free RAM in one single block, belonging together. This may happen also on computers with big amount of RAM, as RAM gets fragmented when working with PC.
When you close applications and restart Studio, is is much more likely that Studio will get a free block and perform the operation as desired.

Israel
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now I got another message May 12, 2010

I did what you told me, closed everything, opened only Studio, and now I got the following message:
Failed to save target content: Error while converting to Word Document

It is a very big document, with a lot of drawings and hyperlinks. Maybe this is what is making problems to the cleaning of the document?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Split the document May 12, 2010

Hi,

Perhaps a solution to this problem would be to break the original into smaller documents. Then create a new Project in Studio with each of the smaller documents and then pretranslate them against the TM you already used. Then save target for each of the smaller files and put them back together manually.

This process might also help you to find the problem parts of the document if the problem is not size alone as you can keep splitting the ones that won't convert until you have something small enough, that won't convert, that you can handle manually.

Regards

Paul

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oh dear May 12, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Hi,

Perhaps a solution to this problem would be to break the original into smaller documents. Then create a new Project in Studio with each of the smaller documents and then pretranslate them against the TM you already used. Then save target for each of the smaller files and put them back together manually.

This process might also help you to find the problem parts of the document if the problem is not size alone as you can keep splitting the ones that won't convert until you have something small enough, that won't convert, that you can handle manually.

Regards

Paul

That's horrible. Trados really should give a more concrete error message that allows you to identify the actual problem without playing hide-and-seek.

Just an example: the document I'm translating right now is a 250-page monstrosity with about 500 to 1000 nontranslatable elements all over it. You can't pretranslate something like this because the same segment has to be translated in one place and not elsewhere... repopulating the translation from a TM would take hours, and if I had to do that several times while looking for an error... I wouldn't be happy.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
In a perfect world May 12, 2010

Hi Farkas,

Indeed in a perfect world where we were able to diagnose any document and describe exactly what the problem was then we would always have an answer for everything. Unfortunately life is just not that simple and sometimes errors are caused by things that the software wouldn't even know to look for, never mind describe what the error was and how to fix it.

If we receive problematic files in Support then this is exactly the process we have to go through to identify the problem.

I was only trying to be helpful and suggest a way for the user to resolve his problem. If splitting the file because size is a problem doesn't work then I'd also be happy to take a look at the file to see if we can find what the problem was.

Regards

Paul

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In an imperfect world... May 12, 2010

Once upon a time there was a guy who had an accident. An ambulance with flashing lights and powerful horn brought him to the hospital. Nurses and doctors came. A doctor said "hurry up, bring him to the surgery, we don't have any time to loose". Then they gave him blood, but he colapsed... Do you know the reason? No one has thought about checking before acting...

I know, this sounds possibly horrible, but... I have written so often in this form, that one should test any complicated or biger file before starting to work on it.
If the file does convert, you're on the safe side. If not, then you can either repair the file, check another tool, ask the customer for a better file, ask for longer deadline or even reject the job. In any case you have also the option to tell the customer you charge more, as the file is problematic. Once the job is done, your customer is just expecting delivery and the deadline is very near if not already passed. Now you do not have any time left for experimenting, repairing and so on.
Would you follow this advice, maybe you wouldn't be in the situation you are now.

In your current situation: first check, if there are really NO tag errors in the file. The error message you've got does not directly refer to tag errors, but may be caused by those (have had such situation myself). If there are no errors and you still are not able to save, then the only way which is left is to try to change the format of source file ie from Word 2003 to Word 2007 and/or split the file and/or remove graphics.

Israel
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am splitting the file May 12, 2010

And I am finding several pages that Studio cannot deal with it. It is taking me a long time, it is a 78K words document, after all.
Luckely, until now the problematic pages have almost nothing written, sometimes only the name of the drawing (without the drawing, even), but there is an hyperlink in the name of the drawing, so maybe that is what is making the problem.
Anyway, It will take me the whole day to do it..

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
pragmatic approach May 12, 2010

You probably do not have much time, but if I were you and the tool I were using did not deliver the outcome, I would export the TM to tmx and try to run the project in another CAT tool. Some of them would give you a trial period - say, MemoQ might be a good choice here with respect to the ease of trial version download and licensing, learning curve and having things done quickly (even if my personal preference would be different).

Well, of course, it might work and might not. Perhaps trying to translate a small portion of the file in the alternative tool based on the above-mentioned tmx export is a good idea to see if it is a viable way to go.

HTH
Antonin

[Edited at 2010-05-12 09:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search