What does the client mean by a "bilingual uncleaned Word file"?
Thread poster: Louise Gough

Louise Gough  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:23
German to English
+ ...
May 10, 2010

I've sent the customer an "uncleaned" Trados file, also a "cleaned" Word file - now they are asking me for the "uncleaned Word file" for the TM - I haven't a clue how to give them what they want as I have not been asked for this before! Please could someone kindly tell me what to do? I've also been completely honest with the client, but maybe should have clarified at the start exactly what was needed. It seemed straightforward at the time....

Edited to add - under File Save - Save Bilingual As....I am not given the option of saving it as a Word file. I only have this option under Save Target As....

[Edited at 2010-05-10 09:49 GMT]

Trinh Do  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2007)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Bilingual uncleaned Word file May 10, 2010

I think you need to install the Trados template in Word (very easy - it comes automatically when you install Trados). Open the Workbench having the TM. Then Open the original Word file. Then "translate" again the text - all the units are there and it won't take long to finish as this is in the memory. The uncleaned Word file will be in the .bak format, showing both source and target languages.

Best thing is not to panic and tell your client that they should have told you in the beginning to submit the uncleaned Word file.

Good luck!

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:23
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Which version are you using? May 10, 2010

Hi Louise,

It would help a bit if you could tell us which version of the SDL Trados software you are using. If you are using Studio, there is no unclean bilingual Word file. Solution: tell the client that you use Studio, and send them a .tmx export, which they can import into Workbench.

And what do you mean by saying that you sent the client an "uncleaned Trados file"? Which file format was that, for instance? Did you send them the .sdlxliff file? Unfortunately, they cannot use that if they have not updated to Studio yet. The bilingual Word file belongs to Workbench and the 2007 software.

A little more of the right information would help us to help you.

Astrid

[Edited at 2010-05-10 11:05 GMT]

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2007 May 10, 2010

Many thanks for replies so far...

Hi Astrid,

To reply to your question, both I and the client are using Trados 2007. I have Studio but have not used it yet. The file I sent was the bilingual TagEditor file, which is what I thought they wanted and what clients have asked me for in the past.

When I try to save the file under "Save as type...", Trados does not give me the option of a Word file - just "SDL Trados Bilingual Documents...". I have worked on bilingual uncleaned files in Word before, but have never had to generate one myself.

Best regards

Louise

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Retranslate in Word... May 10, 2010

Louise Gough wrote:

The file I sent was the bilingual TagEditor file, which is what I thought they wanted and what clients have asked me for in the past.

You should have do the job using Word+Workbench combo.
You should have asked it explicitly.
The workflow may depend of the project.

When I try to save the file under "Save as type...", Trados does not give me the option of a Word file - just "SDL Trados Bilingual Documents...".

Indeed.
It's impossible to create a bilingual DOC/RTF in this way.

I have worked on bilingual uncleaned files in Word before, but have never had to generate one myself.

Well...
The bilingual file is created as your translation progresses...icon_smile.gif

You should redo the translation in Word using the same TM.
If you have a chance, it will be easy, just translate to fuzzy in Word.
If not, you may experience a lot of formatting related problems which may slow you down a lot.

Cheers
GG

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
What formats? May 10, 2010

was the file sent to you a Word file? If this is the case, you need to retranslate it in Word (you can do a "translate to fuzzy"). All the segments will be in the memory... don't clean it and send the client the bilingual Word file....

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks... May 10, 2010

...for suggestions to retranslate in Word, I was considering this and it is indeed an option as the translation is not very long. In fact I could have done it ten times over in the time it's taken me to sort out Trados-related problems....!

When you say "translate it in Word", though, how do you actually start this process? I only know how to translate in TagEditor.

Thanks again and best regards

Louise

French to Polish
+ ...
Trados toolbar in Word... May 10, 2010

Louise Gough wrote:

...for suggestions to retranslate in Word, I was considering this and it is indeed an option as the translation is not very long. In fact I could have done it ten times over in the time it's taken me to sort out Trados-related problems....!

When you say "translate it in Word", though, how do you actually start this process? I only know how to translate in TagEditor.

Wow.
Probably you're the first Trados user I'm aware who has no idea about the legacy Word workflow icon_smile.gif
Normally the people are scared when they must to switch to TagEditor...

Open the source file in Word.
You should have the Trados toolbar in Word.
If not present, just google for "Trados disappeared" and you'll see the procedure.
The meaning of the icons is exactly the same.

Cheers
GG

Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Now I am wiser too! May 10, 2010

Now I suddenly see what one of my customers meant too! After trying the translation in Word myself I could save the Word bilingual fileicon_smile.gif
I normally just use Studio 2009, but one customer want the translated files as well as the unclean bilingual file - however they are happy to receive the .ttx file. But now I know how to get the Word file too. Superb!
My procedure is to create a .ttx file in TRADOS 2007 from the Word document they give me. Then I translate the .ttx file in Studio 2009, save it as .ttx and then convert it back to target language .doc in TRADOS 2007. That way I get to stick to what I am used to and they get their legacy files! Unfortunatly a "bug", well atleast a change in code makes it impossible for me to creat the bilingual .doc file in Studio 2009 as the Norwegian Bokmal language changed from TRADOS 2007 to Studio 2009...

United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know May 10, 2010

...that this query has helped someone else as well!

It turned out that my Trados macro had been disabled for some reason and was not showing at the top of the Word screen. I followed Grzegorz's advice and managed to reactivate it, then ran the file through again as suggested by Giovanni and Trinh Do.

I know TagEditor is supposed to be more difficult, but it's what I was familiar with...!

All done now - problem solved, client happy....but there do seem to be persistent problems with my Trados installation in general, with various error messages popping up here and there and dire warnings of fatal errors. It seems to be quite unstable. I was sent a patch earlier by SDL to resolve a problem with loading a TM into Workbench, I haven't yet had time to check whether or not it's worked.

Anyway, many thanks for all your help.

Regards

Louise

French to Polish
+ ...
Word workflow advantages... Trados stability... May 10, 2010

Louise Gough wrote:

I know TagEditor is supposed to be more difficult, but it's what I was familiar with...!

Well.
It seems to be more difficult but, in fact, is more bulletproof.
The Word workflow seems better for small jobs, it's simply faster as you have a WYSIWIG Word environment.
For more complex jobs, TE is a must.
Nonetheless, for a lot of translation offices, Trados is still the synonym of the Word workflow, so beware.

All done now - problem solved, client happy....but there do seem to be persistent problems with my Trados installation in general, with various error messages popping up here and there and dire warnings of fatal errors. It seems to be quite unstable. I was sent a patch earlier by SDL to resolve a problem with loading a TM into Workbench, I haven't yet had time to check whether or not it's worked.

I have no good opinion about the Trados stabiliity, especially when you need to deal with Multiterm.
Nevertheless, the Trados 2007 Suite is rather stable when installed and maintained carefully.
I experience very few really fatal problems with it.
Probably because I import the majority of my Trados files in DVX icon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2010-05-10 16:32 GMT]

Egil Presttun  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
How to export a .tmx file? May 11, 2010

[quote]Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Solution: tell the client that you use Studio, and send them a .tmx export, which they can import into Workbench.

How is this done? I tried to click on File - Batch Tasks - Export files, and I tried a bit of this and that, but I couldn't get any .tmx file no matter what I did. Any help is appreciated.

Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Export the Translation Memory May 11, 2010

[quote]Egil Presttun wrote:

[quote]Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Solution: tell the client that you use Studio, and send them a .tmx export, which they can import into Workbench.

How is this done? I tried to click on File - Batch Tasks - Export files, and I tried a bit of this and that, but I couldn't get any .tmx file no matter what I did. Any help is appreciated.

----- I believe that Astrid meant to Export the Translation Memory - to a .tmx file.
However I am unsure how it will work to import it into Workbench - I cannot do it. I wonder if that might be due to the language code difference there is between Studio 2009 and Trados 2007 for Norwegian (no-no and nb-no).
Can any of the Norwegians perform this task?

Added later on...
I did manage it in the end. I had to edit the .tmx file manually, change all NB-NO entries to NO-NO. Then the import worked!!

But still, can any other Norwegians do it without this workaround?

[Edited at 2010-05-11 21:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does the client mean by a "bilingual uncleaned Word file"?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search