Basic question about translation memories
Thread poster: Profdoc

Profdoc
Local time: 05:06
Swedish to English
May 10, 2010

I have downloaded and installed a 30 day trial version of SDL Trados Studio 2009 Professional to evaluate it as a possible translations tool for the company where I work. The translation memory function could save us quite a bit of work – if I could get it to function, that is. Here's my problem, and it's probably a simple one since I'm a complete rookie:
I've set up a sdltm-file with US English as source language and Swedish as target language. The English source text is in place and I have translated it to Swedish. Now, how do I actually get the translation memory (I've set one up called USEng-SweTest) to register the translations I've made? I've changed the target text status first to Translated, then Approved and finally Signed Off, but the translation memory is still empty. Is this because I'm running a trial version or am I missing something else?

[Edited at 2010-05-10 11:14 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:06
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Is the Translation Memory properly attached to the project? May 10, 2010

Tjenar Mattias,

First of all make sure that the TM has been added correctly to the project.
Open Project - Project Settings. Under Language Pairs and TM for your language pair make sure that the TM is added there and has a tick in the Update checkbox. If it is there then there are several ways to add your translation to the project's TM:
- Press Alt + Right (arrow) - this is the one I tend to use as it moves the cursor down to the next untranslated segment
- Ctrl + Alt + PgUp (Add as new translation)
- To add all of the translations to the project's TM go to Project - Batch Tasks - Update Main Translation Memories (but this is normally done after everything has been translated).

After each of the above you should be able to see the TM entries in Translation Results within the Editor (View - Translation Results).

I assume you have already done this since you wouldn't otherwise know that the TM has not been updated... But Translation Memories tab (on the left hand side) is very useful to use when you want to look into the TMs properly to make sure the entries are there.

I hope that this helps to shed some light on your issue.

Good luck!
Kjersti - ENG>NOR

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:06
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Trados training courses May 10, 2010

Have you been on a Trados training course? In my humble opinion, training is essential, particularly if you are conducting a trial. This is perhaps not what you want to hear. But I speak as a generally satisfied Trados user of several years' standing, and have been on several training courses, including some webinars.

Are you a member of the Swedish SFÖ ? By a happy coincidence they are running Trados courses in a few days time. If I were in your shoes, I would sign up immediately. Then you will be in a much better position to evaluate the features and benefits.

See http://www.sfoe.se/News.aspx?r_id=16178

Profdoc
Local time: 05:06
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 11, 2010

The translation memory seems to be up and running now and I'll check out the Trados training courses! Thanks again, both of you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Basic question about translation memories

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search